Origin of an Irish Saying

Origin of an Irish Saying

Author
Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 1:42 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My wife's Grandfather used to describe someone who tried to be smart or was a 'know-all' as a "wizzenhall" or wissenhall (not sure of the spelling).

Why would he use that name? What does it truly mean? Where does it come from?

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 4:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
That's a great question, Tom! I've searched online, but I haven't been able to find anything that is similar to the word or meaning. There are a lot of members on the forum with expert advice and knowledge though, so hopefully someone will be able to solve this mystery. :) 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 10:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Tom,
I love words and language, and I was initially puzzled by the expression 'wissenhall'/ 'wizzenhall'.
This morning I had a thought.  Perhaps it should be written 'wise and all'.  I can almost hear some of my relatives add 'and all' to an adjective.  These are folk who would speak using what is now termed Ulster Scots dialect.
 For instance, 'he was wise and all, but he never made much money...'; 'she was helpful and all, and we soon found our way again'.  Of course in Ulster Scots it would sound more like "wise 'n all".
What does it add to the meaning? Possibly a slight emphasis of the adjective.  It's probably a stylistic thing too. 
I hope this helps.
Mary.