Welcome to the Community! Here you can find a pool of experts on Ireland and all things surrounding the magical island that we all love so well! From music to ancestry, from activities to ancient landmarks, you can get all the information you need right here!
To make sure you’re getting the most out of the Community, we’ve put together this handy little guide to walk you through posting, finding posts, commenting on posts, sharing your pictures with the Community and everything beyond!Navigating the Community
At the top of your page, you’ll always see the anchored navigation bar. This is full of handy buttons for easy access. It looks like this:
- Ireland logo - this button will take you to the ireland.com site, where you can find a massive pool of information around the country and visiting, minus the discussion.
- Translate button - If a Community member posts something in their own language, we don’t want you to miss out on the fun! This button will translate everything on the page to a language of your choice.
- Login Button - here is where you can log in so that you can post and comment on other member’s posts.
- Register button - If you haven’t logged in before, céad míle fáilte! You can register here to join in on the fun!
- Destinations - This is a quick button to search a specific place in Ireland that you’re interested in. This will provide you with all the information you could need on accommodation, events or things to do.
- Things to do - We all have unique interests, and Ireland caters for all kinds of enthusiasts. This function will let you type a destination, and pick a specific type of activity to search so that you can bring your hobbies with you!
- Trip Ideas - If you need inspiration, or ideas on what to do and things to see when you get here, look no further! This section will give you some ideas on what our stunning country has to offer.
- Accommodation - You’ll need somewhere to stay when in Ireland! This can range from a tent to a 5* hotel, depending on your preference. You can find your suited type of accommodation here.
- Travel to Ireland - How will you get there?! - Here you can find flights and ferries to Ireland from wherever you are in the world.
- Help and advice - This is basic information that you might need for your visit to Ireland, it covers visas, information on what you’ll need and even information on how you can bring your furry friends with you!
- Offers - Everyone loves a bargain! Take a look here to see what offers are available to make your trip as cost effective as can be!
Before we delve into the Community, we first need to make sure that we’re familiar with the house rules. We’ve gotta play nice and get along (plus there are helpful tips on finding information which may help you even more quickly).TopicsThis can be accessed in the main menu, and there are three main topics here. They are:
- Ireland.com Community Guest Book - Here you can tell us more about yourself and what brought you to the ireland.com Community, or even a story about a trip to Ireland that you’ve had!
- Genealogy - Here you can learn more about the various families or ‘Clans’ in Ireland, or even find out about your own Irish heritage!
- Planning Your Trip - This section will give you all of the information that you need to start planning. It covers all bases, although we’re always on hand if you do have any further questions!
On the homepage of the community, there is a search bar. It looks like this:
Simply type in this box, anything you’re looking for! This will bring up any posts that containing the item you’re looking for. Give it a whirl, search ‘Titanic’ and see what comes up!Tags
Tags are extremely useful in finding the information you are looking for. You can see the ‘’ section on the homepage. It looks like this:
This is useful to see what everyone else is talking about. If you want to see everyone that is talking about Dublin, hit the Dublin tag and it will how you all of the posts we have that contain that tag! Of course, Dublin is just an example. Click ‘All Tags’ to see what we’re discussing!Posts
If you want to see what the members of the Community are talking about, but you don’t have a specific preference, you can go to the ‘Latest Posts’ section on the homepage.
As is the case with Tags, click the “All Posts” button to see all of the latest posts on the Community.Posting your own discussion
On the homepage, you’ll see a button to the right labelled “Start a Discussion”.
Click this, and you’ll be presented with this screen:
Here you’ll select the type of post you’re talking about!
Once in here, you’ll need to pick the type of topic you’re discussing. Is it a question, recommendation or other?
Once that’s checked, you’ll type the subject in, this will be the post title. For example “What Music Festivals are on in June?
In the “Message
” field, you can put the body of your post. A little more information on what you’re looking for.
You can also click “Insert
” at the bottom, this will give you the option to add a Link, Image, Video, Emoticon, Quote
or a file
In the ‘Tags
’ field, choose up to five of the most relevant keywords you’d like to use on your post. You can see the list of tags here, be careful how you pick them, they can be a great tool to get you the exposure you’ll want on your post, if put in the right place.
Make sure to have the “Notify me of replies to this post
” checked, you will receive email updates when somebody comments on your post.Commenting on another discussion
To comment on another user’s post, you’ll see a reply in the top right corner, in line with the title.
Once in here, a text box will appear. Simply type your response here, and hit “Reply
” just underneath.Language
In the Homepage, you can see all posts in any of the 5 languages included. You can find this on the right hand side, and it’ll look like this:
Simply click the language you are looking for, and you’ll see all posts submitted in that given language.Profile
- The last section, is all about you! This is your profile! In the top right, you’ll see a little user Icon with your name. Click this, and a dropdown list will appear.
- Profile - This is where you can visit your actual profile.
- Account - This is where you can see everything about your account. Your email, Posts, Messages and Member Group are all included here.
- Following - This is where you can see all of the member that you follow. You will receive email notifications when these members post.
- Subscriptions - This is where you can subscribe to a specific forum to receive notifications in any of the following categories:
- Community Guest Book
- Ireland Family history
- Sports & Activities
- Where to Stay
- Festivals/Events & Entertainment
- Privacy - Here you can set your privacy preferences.
- Settings - Here, you can adjust your general account preferences.
- Logout - Pretty self explanatory, you can log out here.
Now that you have the know how, why not post something of your own?
What will your first post be?