Traveling with a 4 year old?

Traveling with a 4 year old?

Author
Posted Wed 9 May 2018 5:39 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My wife and I have a 4-year-old and we had planned on going without him already. He will be staying with my brother while we are on the trip. I did want him to go with us but my wife felt he was still too young to travel abroad. Does anyone have experiences with traveling with a child this young? Is it best to wait until he is older?
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 May 2018 10:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
You'll find that Ireland is very family friendly, James. :) There are lots of accommodations and activities available for the whole family, and kids of all ages. On our website you can find more information about travelling with children, as well as the experiences of Jody Halsted, a travel blogger who went on a trip to Ireland with her children. 

Have you had a look at the other threads about travelling with kids on the Community? You can read all about how other families planned their trip and experienced their visit.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 10 May 2018 12:49 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ireland is very accommodating of 4 year olds. As the mother of 3 boys, the youngest now 7, I've had (fairly) recent experience of travelling with a child of this age.
Almost every small village has a playground, so there's almost always somewhere to go for a swing/ round-about/ see-saw, and most importantly to meet other kids. 
Ireland has a lot of castles and ruins, it's the perfect back-drop for most kids of that age to explore, climb and imagine. Buy them a wooden sword and shield, or a viking/ knight's helmet, widely available in many tourist shops, and they're kitted out. If you can't find a wooden or plastic sword, use a stick.
As an island we have fabulous beaches. If you're travelling earlier in the year (before June) it might be an idea to bring a wet-suit. Give them a bucket-and-spade, and they'll keep themselves busy.
Irish food served up in restaurants and cafes is often locally sourced, so it's fresh and tasty. Food can often be quite plain, in some places everything comes with chips, and you may want to avoid that. But portions are large and filling.  If your child likes a particular kind of hummus or ketchup, perhaps bring that with you. The only potential downside, is that in some rural communities, food is only served in the evening in pubs, and children must be off the premises by 9pm. 
Otherwise, I'd say bring your 4 year old child, and s/he'll have a brilliant time.