Blaney

Blaney

Author
Posted Sun 13 May 2018 7:43 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, I am trying to find out anything I can on an ancestor of mine called Dennis Blaney. He was born in Ireland about 1789. I know he died in Glasgow, (Shuttle Street) on 18th Jan 1858. He married a lady called Roseanne MCCafferty (McAfferty) and they had Grace, Michael, Duncan, Daniel, Hugh, Mary and Catherine. I believe his farther to be John Blaney, a farmer in Limerick, Ireland approximately 1753 Can anyone help please? I would really appreciate any help that could be given. Many thanks, Julie
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 May 2018 10:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Julie,

Tracing family history that far back can be tricky!

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records; while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres.  The centre for County Limerick would be a good place to start.

We also have some community forum posts already that have Helpful Tips and a Three Step Guide which you may wish to take a look at too.

I'm sure our fellow members will have some ideas for you as you try to piece the information together.

Have you ever been over to County Limerick before?

Speak soon,

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 May 2018 10:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Julie

If you have not already done so, I would recommend you contact Limerick Genealogy, email: research@limerickgenealogy.com as their database at http://limerick.rootsireland.ie records the baptismal entry of a John Bleaney in 1753.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 May 2018 8:16 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi there
Thank you for your reply, I haven't been to Limerick before but it is somewhere I intend to visit. Hopefully later this year.
I will take a look at the sites you have mentioned.
Thank you again
Julie 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 May 2018 9:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Brian, I found that link.
Regards
Julie
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 19 May 2018 5:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Julie,

I'm so pleased to see all the suggestions being offered here!

Great news on finding that link in the database - wow! The Bleaney vs. Blaney spelling is a wonderful find as well. Hopefully, it will lead to further discoveries since it widens your search parameters. 

I'm so looking forward to reading your updates as your research moves forward!

Good luck.

Sionainn