ENGLISH - IRISH TRANSLATION

ENGLISH - IRISH TRANSLATION

Author
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 12:33 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Good morning all.

Hope everyone is well?

I'm hoping a kind person / people will be able to help me.

Long story short - myself and my girlfriend have booked a trip to Galway in July and at some point during them 3 short days I plan to pop the question.  Yes, my life of bachelordom is about to meet an abrupt (but hopefully happy) end.

I'm about to give the green light for 'the' ring to be made (no, i'm not rich but just lucky to know someone who makes them for a job) and am wanting to have the word 'More' engraved on the inside. (I won't go into the reasons but I assure you it's nothing exciting!)

What i'm wanting to know so as to avoid a bad tattoo situation is the correct translation into Irish.

I've dumbed this down and done the whole Google Translate thing however call me old fashioned but i don't quite trust these computer generated things.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kindest regards and many thanks in advance,

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 1:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 21.9K
Hi Rob,
welcome to the Community and how exciting to hear! I have asked some colleagues of mine and they have forwarded the following translation of the word 'more' - níos mó
I hope this helps & good luck. Don't forget to post some pictures of the happy moment after your trip!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 2:25 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Rob!

Exciting times! I bet you're as excited as you are nervous! Never worry though, Team Ireland is rooting for you! 

I think what Christoph has come up with is the most accurate, and is the translation you're looking for!

Have you thought about what you'll be doing in Galway? And what dates you'll be there?

There are loads of things to see and do, and I'd love to help you find something that suits! 

Something that you may not have known about Galway is that the Claddagh ring originated there. The Claddagh is a widely known Irish symbol that is made up three sub-symbols. A heart, hands and a crown – symbolizing love, loyalty and friendship.

Keep us posted on how you get on, we'll all be sitting on the edge of our seats over here!

Click here for some love stories to get you excited for your trip!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 2:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Christoph and Shane - you're both legends amongst men!

Absolute stars - thank you.

Typical Irish Hospitality already and I haven't even got there yet.

Actually not nervous at all really.  Nervous maybe at all the impending costs...if she says yes but not about the whole down on one knee thing.

Yes, that translation is the one that has been coming up for me too.  I just kind of thought, the more people I have who are able to confirm this the happier i'll be having it put on a ring.

Shane, I didn't know that no.  That's given me another potential idea.

No real thought as yet as to what to do and where to go.  We've done the rather obvious and [ahem] maybe cliched thing of seeing which are the best bars and pubs but not a lot more than that.  If you're able to point us in the direction of places to go, things to see etc then it's all gladly welcomed.  We both love walks and green countryside.

I only really chose Galway as ever Irish friend and person i've ever spoken to about Ireland always says the same - you've got to go to Galway.  I love the traditional Irish folky music and once a few Guinness have nicely lubricated me the feet won't a stop tapping.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 3:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Rob - so exciting!!
I think Shane's suggestion re the Claddagh is great, the connection is really auspicious and romantic. It would be lovely to tie it in in some way if you could? 
Galway is brilliant, so many great restaurants and bars, live music and a lovely atmosphere. You will enjoy seaside walks along the prom or you could head out to Connemara, there are loads of options here: HIKES 
I hope you have a magical and romantic time and you get a big YES! 
Enjoy!
Áine

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 3:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks so much Áine.

I love Ireland, I love the people...love the Guinness :-D

Couldn't of wanted for a better place to do the deed.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 4:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
That's so romantic, Rob! It sounds like you've put a lot of time and thought into everything, and I'd love to give you some suggestions to make this trip an unforgettable one. :) 

Galway is definitely a place where you can enjoy a good trad music session, and it's perfectly located along the Wild Atlantic Way. From here there are so many lovely places to explore, and you can find some of our favourite suggested itineraries here. There's also loads of walking and hiking routes available in the area, so you've got lots of possibilities to choose from. 

Do you have an idea on how you would like to get around while you're here? There are a few options to choose from, like renting a car, public transport or going on a tour

Also, if you'd like to find out more about the famous Claddagh rings, take a look at this article about Galway

I hope this helps, and please keep us posted! 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 4:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Not thought about how i'm going to pay for all this Merlin!  :-D

Haha.  I jest.  I have and can't wait to set foot in Galway.

I will keep you all posted.

Thank you again.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 30 May 2018 10:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
We are glad to be of help during some of the planning stages of your upcoming event!

Galway is a fantastic place to visit, there will be plenty of opportunities to walk around, enjoy the atmosphere and make a truly memorable trip come true.

To get you more in the mood for what you may be able to see, have a look at this wee video. Padraig brings you around the Connemara and its hidden gems. 

Speak soon.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Jul 2018 6:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Evening guys!

As promised I just wanted to let you all know that she said yes!

What an amazing amazing City Galway is!!  Fell in love with the place.  Lovely people, fantastic craic.  Neither of us wanted to go home and we both can't wait to go back!!!!!

Cheers!