George Webb-Butler to Bishop of Cloyne.

George Webb-Butler to Bishop of Cloyne.

Author
Posted Sat 21 Jul 2018 10:41 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thanks for all that information. I have never heard of paupers records. Where could I find them please.? Geraldine.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 21 Jul 2018 7:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Geraldine,

Paupers' graves records are a bit hit and miss. It depends on who was doing the burying (there were some lovely people who donated sites for paupers graves and kept meticulous records), and where it was.

The Cork Archives are a good start, as they hold records for all cemetaries and it may be worth your while dropping them an e-mail with the information you have to see if they can point you at some local records.

Good luck!
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 7:53 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
OK Thanks. Geraldine.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 6:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Have checked out John Joseph Webb. Born in Dublin 1874. So, no connection there.
E-mailed Cork Archives-but they say it could be several weeks before they can get back to me.
Geraldine.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 8:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Geraldine, 

Thank you for keeping us posted. :) We hope the Cork Archives will be able to provide you with additional information, and let us know what they found. 

Sincerely,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 19 Aug 2018 7:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Does anybody know if George Webb (Butler to Bishop of Cloyne-1901), living at Spy Hill, Queenstown,Cork died while in the Bishop's employ? What Cork cemetery would he likely be buried in?
Also, would the Bishop have had another residence? Have searched St. Joseph's Cemetery, but cannot find any records.
Many thanks for any information on this elusive ancestor.
Geraldine.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 20 Aug 2018 4:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hello Geraldine, 

Welcome back! Were you able to find out more via the Cork Archives? 

Government (civil) registration of births in Ireland began in 1864, and the full records reside in General Register Office (GRO). Have you been in touch with GRO about this yet? 

For graveyard records in and around Cork, my advice is to contact the Cork Archives again. Cork Past and Present is another website that might have some helpful information about the bishop or your ancestor. 

I hope this helps, and let us know if there's anything else you need! 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Dec 2018 5:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello, Yes I did indeed find out more but not through  Cork Archives.
It seems that after all the searching I have been chasing the wrong man.! Now, family history told me that George Webb (born Meath) was butler in south of Ireland. Now, I am finding that it was John Webb brother of George who was butler to Bishop of Cloyne. It looks that George went to America. John Webb appears in 1901 Census-Spy Hill-Cobh-Cork. So, I thought they had got his first name wrong but no I had it wrong. Now, John Joseph Webb appears in 1911 Census  as butler to a doctor in St. Stephen,s Green,Dublin. Born in Meath so I am thinking this is same man. Irish Genealogy records a John Webb-living in Iveagh Buildings, who dies in 1923. He was unmarrried and died of cancer in South Dublin Union. The ages fit. I have asked for photocopy of death cert. which I hope can identify him.Hopefully, I have got it right this time.!
After that, I will begin to search for George and his brother Peter who went to America. They are thought to have gone to Boston and soon after they arrived one of them drowned while swimming. Which one I don,t know. The other one lost touch with home. 
Will let you know when I get copy of cert.
Geraldine.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Dec 2018 1:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Geraldine, 

Thanks so much for your update! It does seem like you have found the right person, and hopefully you will receive the requested paperwork soon. It would be wonderful if this can identify him. :) 

Fingers crossed, and hoping for good news, 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 20 Jan 2019 5:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi again,
I have had a marvellous break-through.! My two grand-uncles who went to America emigrated in 1880 and  1882 respectively. Peter went first and then James.Both sailed  from Liverpool to New York.

On my other elusive relative my 2xtimes great-uncle George (their brother) no news. The photocopy of death cert. gave no more information than I had.!
Would this be possible.? His name was George but as butler to Bishop  of Cloyne maybe he had to change to John as George is Church of Ireland name.?

Geraldine.