Children's books authors/ Illustrators and bookstores

Children's books authors/ Illustrators and bookstores

Author
Posted Sat 7 Jul 2018 2:19 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Traveling to Ireland this fall. Have a couple free days in Dublin.  Are there any especially good bookstores selling children's books?  Are there any Irish authors and/or illustrators of children's books you'd recommend?  Thank you!

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 Jul 2018 8:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Linda,

Dublin is a super city to visit in the fall as there are fewer people about but the attractions are all open!

We have an existing community post on bookshops that you may find of interest. It mentions a couple of super bookshops in Dublin, please have a look at the post for links to their websites.

In addition, there are two main bookstores, Eason's and Waterstones that have excellent childrens book departments.

There are many wonderful books for children, some of the best are the stories of fairies and legends of Irish folklore that will you find on all of the bookshelves in the children's section.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more tips, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 9 Jul 2018 10:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Linda,
I am delighted to learn that you are planning to visit Dublin in the autumn. I am also delighted to learn of your interest in children’s books.
I wonder if you have discovered Martin Waddell. He was born in Belfast, but has lived most of his live in Newcastle at the foot of the Mourne Mountains. He has written many lovely children’s books, teaming up with talented illustrators. 

“The author has always clung to his Irish roots and a lot of his stories are influenced from the things that have happened to him and his  family (which includes three children) at their home near the foot of the Mountain of Mourne in Newcastle, Co. Down. Describing this influence, the author states that ‘I dream my stories in the garden and on long walks on the beach in front of my house. I never write anywhere else. This is where I belong’.” https://stellabooks.com/article/martin-waddell

I still have a copy of “A Kitten called Moonlight” which I bought many years ago to share with children.

Who knows, you might even be tempted north to visit Newcastle and the magical scenery of the Mournes! You would also be very welcome to explore the stunning Causeway Coast and Glens area too. https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/ But then again, that might have to wait for another visit!

Kind regards,
Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 9 Jul 2018 5:30 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Martin and Mary for your suggestions.  
Martin, it seems to me that at least one of the bookstores you mention is within walking distance from our hotel. 
Mary, thanks for sharing that specific title and author/illustrator.  It seems to be out of print or unavailable in the US.  I will look when in Ireland.  We begin and end our Irish journey in Dublin, but will also be traveling clockwise around Ireland and Northern Ireland for 2 weeks.  As an elementary school librarian I often read The Legend of Knockmany,  and  Fin M'Coul, the Legend of Knockmany Hill by Tomie dePaola, so am a bit familiar with Giant's Causeway (we will tour there as well as the Glens of Antrim on our trip).  I'm looking forward to learning about more Irish children's authors and illustrators    :-)   and visiting your beautiful country.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 9 Jul 2018 9:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Linda, 

You've gotten some wonderful tips and suggestions from Martin and Mary! :) 

I would also like to add another recommendation. The Tales From Old Ireland (Malachy Doyle (author), Niamh Sharkey (illustrator)), has all of the famous Irish legends like the bewitched Children of Lir and the Twelve Wild Geese. Since you'll be visiting the Causeway Coast, you can check out the Children of Lir sculpture in Ballycastle from the book as well. 

Let us know if there is anything else you need, and keep us posted on the preparations for your trip this autumn! 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Jul 2018 1:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Melin!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Jul 2018 9:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Linda,
Just a quickie.  I realise now that my email perhaps implies that Martin Waddell only wrote "A Kitten called Moonlight".  He has in fact written many other delightful children's books, which are readily available. 

On my drive home from work yesterday, I also remembered about C.S. Lewis.  He was born in Belfast and often holidayed in Castlerock. The landscape of the Mourne Mountains is supposed to have been in his mind as he was writing about Narnia.  You might want to check out C.S. Lewis Square in Belfast on your trip round Ireland.  https://visitbelfast.com/see-do/partners/cs-lewis-square

Happy adventuring and happy reading!

Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Jul 2018 2:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you again Mary!  When you initially wrote about Martin Waddell, I thought his name sounded familiar. So I checked the online library catalog of the elementary school I worked at, and found we had 3 of his picture books in our library     :-)
And, of course, we had all the wonderful books from the Chronicles of Narnia series -- classic literature!
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 29 Nov 2018 10:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:40 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Linda!

Did you manage to visit Ireland? :) If it's any help, I can recommend that you have a look at Hodges Figgis bookshop, an iconic bookstore since 1768 and a real heaven for a book-lovers!

Keep us posted.

Francesco