Benson Family Tree

Benson Family Tree

Author
Posted Wed 18 Jul 2018 2:24 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi,  
I am looking for my Benson family from Ireland.  The only information that I have is from a USA 1900 census.  My great-grandfather was in an orphanage in New York City, NY.  He was born in New York, NY on February 24, 1890 to parents from Ireland.  Shortly after the census was taken, he was put on an Orphan Train to the mid-west area of the US. 

Thank you for any information that you can help me with!!!

Penney

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)Community Member (12.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Penney,

You have quite the search there! Orphans can be very hard to research sometimes, depending on the information that was registered at the time. And often being in an orphanage doesn't mean they were all orphans either. He could have been a true orphan, a foundling, or given up by his family because they couldn't afford to look after him. Often the information given when children were given up to the orphanages from living parents was fudged so that it would be harder to find the parents or their family.

The best known and therefore best documented places are probably the Children's Aid Society and the New York Foundlings Hospital. The New York Public Library also has some materials and information dedicated to the Orphan Train movement.

Can you share the information given on him in the census with us and do you have the name of the orphanage he was in?

We have some very knowledgeable people here, so hopefully they will also be along soon to give you some tips that can help you find the records you need.

Have a wonderful day,
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Jul 2018 6:08 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Cornelia!!

Thank you so much for replying to me!!! I am so grateful, that could cry!!  You have no idea how excited I am to find my heritage!  
Edward N. Benson is how he spelled his name and born February 24, 1890. 

Below is what I copied from the page.  
Name E Bennson
Age 10
Birth Date Feb 1890
Birthplace New York
Home in 1900 Richmond Ward 2, Richmond, New York
Ward of City 2nd
Street Manor Road
House Number 8
Sheet Number 15
Institution Nursery And Childs Hospital
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation 255
Family Number 269
Race White
Gender Male
Relation to Head of House Inmate
Marital Status Single
Father's Birthplace Ireland
Mother's Birthplace Ireland
Occupation At School
Can Read Yes
Can Write Yes
Can Speak English Yes

Thanks again so much!!!  

Penney
North Sioux City, South Dakota

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Jul 2018 9:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Penney, 

Thank you for all of the information and details! We hope you'll be able to find out more about the Benson side at The New York Historical Society Museum & Library. They have Nursery and Child's Hospital Records between 1854 and 1934

Hopefully the parents were registered, and you'll be able to find some entry records in the hospital. If it was a live parent surrender it is possible they may have left their details in the hopes of getting Edward back later. 

Keep us posted on your findings, and fingers crossed! 

Melin