Duross Family

Duross Family

Author
Posted Wed 18 Jul 2018 3:16 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello everyone, I'm trying the locate information on my great great grandmother's family. Her name was Mary Duross, and she was born in 1884 in Scotland. Her parents were Terence Duross (b. 1859 in Ireland) and Annie McGuire (b. 1860 in Ireland). They immigrated to Biddeford, ME in 1885 and Mary had Ambrose Roy Duross, my great grandfather, out of wedlock on Dec 11 1907. I am mainly interested in the Duross side of the family tree, since it is the name I bear today. Although Ambrose's surname was listed as Kerwin on his birth certificate, and although he was adopted at birth by an English couple named Sutton, he always kept his mother's last name. If anyone even happens to know very general information about any Duross's running about in Ireland today, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Jul 2018 5:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 22
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:28 AM Visits: 2.8K
Hi Alex,

You've got a great deal of information already! The fact that your great-grandfather kept his mother's surname even though he was adopted at birth is such a gift of luck. I've had a quick search and it looks like all Duross births were registered in Counties Tyrone and Fermanagh. Both Counties handily share a genealogical centre. I'd advise you to reach out directly to them, they might know more about your ancestors.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure some of the knowledgeable experts roaming about here have something useful to add as well!

Joris

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Jul 2018 12:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Alex

I checked the index to mid-19th century Griffith's Valuation at www.rootsireland.ie and it records a household headed by Terence Doorish in the townland of Golan Glebe in Kilskeery parish, County Tyrone!

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 8 Dec 2018 10:08 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Alex,
You will be pleased to know I am just finishing writing a book about this family and can tell you most things you want to know.
You can email me at rucsac62@gmail.com
Ralph

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 8 Dec 2018 4:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
That's incredible news, Ralph! Thank you so much for your help. 

We hope you'll be able to find out everything you want to know, Alex. :) Keep us posted! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 8 Dec 2018 6:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Just to keep you on the right path, I can tell you that Terence Doorish came from Golan, Kilskeery, County Tyrone a place I know very well.