Cleary and Heffernan Family

Cleary and Heffernan Family

Author
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 3:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We are visiting Ireland next year and I have recently discovered that my great, great, great grandparents immigrated to Australia in 1848. Their names were Thomas Cleary ( B1816 -1909) and Bridget Heffernan ( 1823 -1917)  from Ennis, County Clare. Bridget's father was Eaneas Heffernan (1791 -1872 ) and her mother was Mary McCormick ( 1795 -1870 ).

Any help with the location of graveyards that may have gravestones this old would help. I imagine that during the time of the terrible Great Potato Famine many thousands were buried in unmarked graves. 

I cannot find any record of Thomas's parents. My grandfather Michael Cleary also taught us some Irish Limerick's, whose meanings are obscured in myth. 

Thanking you and kind regards, Susan Becchio

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 11:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Susan,

Tracing family history back before the famine can be a little frustrating!

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records and while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres.  Please take a look at the one for County Clare, they may be able to help in your search.

There are some excellent resource tips on the community, please feel free to have a look and see if there is something else to help you with your family history discovery.

I'm sure some of our fellow members and industry partners will have some advice too!

How are your travel plans for next year coming along? Are you looking to spend some time in the Ennis area or are you on a tour of the island of Ireland?

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 10:59 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Martin,
Thank you for your prompt reply and the additional information. My family were Roman Catholic so would have been under additional restrictions prior to the famine, including receiving an education  (reading and writing)  and land ownership so following their journey over time becomes  trickier.   I will check the link for County Clare you have forwarded.  At this point the plan is to visit towards the end of April next year. We will spend a couple of nights in Dublin,  one week somewhere in Clare  and a then  a few days in other locations, including Ennis.  I was thinking Adare, Cork and somewhere in the North. Driving distances are so short in Ireland compared to  Australia that doing day trips that require a 60 min drive each way is very familiar for us, so we look for bases and day trip from there.  History and nature are my passions so immersing into your country will be delightful. 

Kind Regards, Susan 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 10:38 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Susan,

Many thanks for getting back to me with some more information on your travel plans during your time with us!

Dublin is a super city to spend a couple of days, so many wonderful attractions to see and things to do. There are also plenty to things to discover in the surrounding area, you will be somewhat spoilt for choice within Ireland's Ancient East.

The Wild Atlantic Way is a fantastic place to drive and explore the many historic places and beautiful coastline. There is even a 12-day trip around the island of Ireland that will have plenty of ideas and inspiration to fill your days.

Regarding accommodation, we have a useful accommodation search page for finding suitable accommodation throughout your time with us. I have pre-selected Cork and B&B to get you started, please feel free to alter the type and destination to plan your time as you travel around.

County Clare is a lovely part of the west coast, easily accessible from Adare as a base for your time there. The Cliffs of Moher, the Aran Islands and Bunratty Castle and Folk Park are favourite must-see places and definitely worth adding to your itinerary.

With regard to travel times within our wee island, I would recommend moving up the country as you travel as most of the roads are country roads and the views often increase the time between locations as there is so much to stop and look at!

Please keep us up to date with your itinerary as you plan your time on the Emerald Isle, April will appear sooner than you know!

Best wishes,
Martin