Great great grandfather

Great great grandfather

Author
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 6:32 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
my great grandfather John Mogan born 1872 in Dublin married Catherine Maher 26th November 1892. His father was Patrick Mogan married Bridget Kearney thats all I have. Any help would be brilliant thanks
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 7:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Joseph,

As your great-grandfather John was born in Dublin after 1864 his birth would be recorded in the General Records Office (GRO) in Dublin as civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions, and deaths.

Information on his marriage to Catherine should also be available at the records office. Have you managed to get any paper records to substantiate this information as a good paper trail is a wonderful asset when tracing family history?

His parents would be born before 1864 when records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. Have you any information on where they were born as this is very important due to the records being available only in parish or church locations?

We have several community posts with helpful resource information, please take a look and see if there is anything that may be useful to you in your search.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 6:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi
I know great granddad John Mogan was born 1872 Mountmellick Maryborough Laois Qeens County and Catherine was born Dublin North City and they married in Dublin South. I know John's father was Patrick Mogan but I'm only guessing his year of birth to be around 1840-1850 because of the year John was born that's if he was the oldest, I also know Patrick married Bridget Kearney because they are named on John's birth certificate other than that I'm clutching at straws. I keep searching different sites but always hit a brick wall. I have John's birth certificate and Catherine Maher's but as I say no luck tracing either Patrick or Bridget's.
Thanks for trying to help tho.
Cheers
Joe

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 8:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Joseph, 

I know it can be very frustrating to keep hitting a wall during your research. Have you been in touch with the General Register Office in Dublin yet? This is where you can find most of the information from after 1864. 

Another place to search would be the Genealogical centre in County Laois, where they will have all of the remaining information from the area from before 1864. 

During Griffith's Valuation (between 1847-1864) there were 39 households by the name Mogan, in 3 different counties, so you could try the centres in these areas too. 

A lot of our members are genealogy experts, so I hope someone will be able to take a look at the Mogan family line and help you get past this wall. :) 

If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're always here to help! 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Jul 2018 8:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Many Thanks
Joe Mogan
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Jul 2018 7:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Joe,

Try searching the free database of irishgenealogy.ie. There are more records there on your family. 

Let me know if you need more professional guidance. 

Best wishes and happy hunting!
Ginger
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 2 Aug 2018 9:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Joe, 

have you tried reaching out to the Irish Family History Centre at the EPIC centre in Dublin? I think they would be able to help you further.

Best
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 2 Aug 2018 3:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Will try there now, many thanks
Joe