Visit to Westmeath in September

Visit to Westmeath in September

Author
Posted Sun 22 Jul 2018 11:33 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi I am coming to Ireland in September with family members and would like to visit Westmeath.  We recently traced back Gg-grandfather and family to Killucan (baptism registers show Rathwire and Raharney).  We are going to check the Roman Catholic churches and hopefully find out where they lived.

William Martin 1833 
Parents : James Martin 1806 /Rose Holdwright 1803
Ann Boyhan 1840
Parents : Bernard Boyhan / Ellen Keeffe
They left Ireland early 1850s and landed in New Haven CT

I was hoping to connect with relatives if they are still in the area.  We are hoping to do a daytrip into Westmeath.  I think it is possible to do a daytrip.  How are the roads in the area?  What are some places to grab a pint and eat & meet some locals?
Is the heritage center worth a trip?

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Tracey,

Congratulations in tracing your Irish Family history back to your Great Great Grandfather!

As you probably know, before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records and while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. The Meath Heritage and Genealogy Centre, Trim will be a super place to contact regarding possible information.

The Parish of Killucan has their own website that you may wish to take a look at too. There is information on their contact details and location. It is a rural location, not far from Mullingar where you will find suitable accommodation for your time in the area. I have pre-selected Mullingar in our accommodation search page to get you started. It is a super place to stay and indeed catch up with the locals for a pint and a good meal!

You may also wish to get in touch with Ireland Reaching Out who also help find information on Irish family history.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 11:35 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thanks so much for the detailed information and links! I will definitely being checking these out now.