Doherty family

Doherty family

Author
Posted Tue 31 Jul 2018 6:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Good day! I’m looking for anyone who might know anything about the Doherty family. My great grandparents came over from Ireland to Canada in the 1930’s (Canada’s census only has 1921 as the nearest date) no one seems to know my great grandparents first names. My great uncle, Edward Doherty was born in 1916 and his moms maiden name listed on his birth record is written Mc lean. My grandmothers name was Sarah and her sisters name Greta. There is no birth records found online for them. It is believed my grandmother was 16 when they came to Canada. I’m assuming Mc lean is spelt wrong. The only family story I’ve heard is that I have cousins that live in a castle. If anyone knows any family names or history I’d love to hear about it. The picture included is of my grandmother. Thank you
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/31-07-2018/823c0c47-f683-4335-b41c-b064.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 31 Jul 2018 12:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Brenda

Make sure you check the database of Derry Genealogy at www.derry.rootsireland.ie as it records the birth of Edward Doherty in 1916 to parents Charles Doherty and Bella Mclean. It records the townland of Dunlade as the birth place, i.e. a townland in Faughanvale Parish, County Derry, 5 miles southwest of the village of Ballykelly and 8 miles east of Derry city
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 31 Jul 2018 4:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Brenda, 

It's great that you are trying to discover more about your Irish roots! You've already received a great tip from Brian, and I hope it leads to even more information. 

There also is a very handy thread called Helpful Research Tips with loads of resources and information on where to look. 

I wish you the best of luck on your search, and please keep us posted on your findings. We'd love to know what you are able to find out! :)

Wishing you a lovely day, 

Melin