Plunketts of the Shore

Plunketts of the Shore

Author
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 2:35 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello from Canada!
My 2xgreat-grandparents emigrated from Newtownards to Ontario in 1848. I believe I have found evidence that we are related to the Plunketts who are still living there, and have spoken to them.
We were from Ballywatticock, and an obituary for one of the Newtownards Plunketts refers to them as descendants of the Plunketts of the Shore.
No one seems to know where that expression comes from, but I believe it will be vital to learning the name of our 3x great grandparents.
Could someone point me in the right direction to solve this mystery?
Thank you.
Louise Daymond
William Plunkett 1801-1876>Isaac>Isaac>Cecil>Me :)
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 12:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Louise, and greetings from the island of Ireland! 

It's so exciting that you have found all this evidence, and we hope we can help you solve this mystery. :) 

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and while some of these have regrettably been lost over the years, all the surviving records have been sorted into county based genealogical centres. Have you by any chance been in touch with the centre over in County Down yet? 

I wasn't able to find anything related to the expression 'Plunketts of the Shore', but it might have something to do with Strangford Lough or the area around the coast. Hopefully one of our genealogy experts might be able to shine a light on this puzzle! 

If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to give us a shout. 

Wishing you a wonderful weekend, 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 5:38 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you, Melin!
The Ards Historical Society believe it was how families of the same name were differentiated when there wasn't a specific townland. Given its proximity, I think my places to look will be along Strangford Lough, within Ballywatticock, Ballyhaft and Cunningburn.
It's a very exciting clue and I'm looking forward to coming over there in August 2019 to visit all the places I discover along the way.

Louise
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 8:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
That's so great to hear Louise!

I saw on Facebook that you're very hopeful in tracking down your relatives with the information you have now, we're really looking forward to seeing where you end up.

Hopefully in the next little while there will be some more people that do a DNA test as well, it would be amazing if you could meet living relatives on your trip next year.

And if you get stuck along the way researching, I do hope we'll be able to find the hint or tip that can bring it all just that little bit closer again.

Good luck!
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 8:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you so much, Cornelia!
One of my cousins in Canada has three artifacts that date back to Ballywatticock:
One is a bible, printed in 1845.
The other is a book of sacred songs, and the third is a porcelain salt shaker, which is purported to be from 1747. I'm hoping to find similar artifacts to that to be able to verify its authenticity.
We are having a reunion of the descendants of William Plunkett and Margaret Kelly's children: William, Margaret, Samuel, Isaac, John and Ellen August 24-25th at the very place they emigrated to in 1848. I'm hopeful that the reunion will also bring more artifacts out of the woodwork.
I truly appreciate your assistance as I move along ... it's only been 40 years so far :)
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 4 Aug 2018 9:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
I'm very much looking forward to hearing about the family reunion Louise, it's always great when families get together, and often these gatherings are a wonderful source of information! "Plunketts of the Shore" is such a lovely nomer, isn't it. Invokes visions of a different time. :)

Would you be happy to post photographs of the family artifacts? Some of our forum members might be able to help pinpoint where they're from and what age they are, and that might help you along with an area as well.

Have a lovely day,
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 Aug 2018 4:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks for your encouragement, Cornelia :)
This is my cousin Gordon Plunkett. He is the proud owner and honoured custodian of the salt shaker, brought to Canada in 1848. It is made of porcelain, and was rumoured to be from 1647.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/05-08-2018/93a69491-ae88-4d2a-813e-b9a1.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Aug 2018 3:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Louise, 

Thank you so much for sharing a picture of this beautiful and special artefact! It looks to be in great condition for an item that has crossed an ocean and is rumoured to be from 1647.

Hopefully someone on the Community will be able to provide you with more information about it. :) 

Have you and your family done a lot of research into your Irish roots together? 

Warm regards,

Melin