Help with a name

Help with a name

Author
Posted Fri 10 Aug 2018 5:38 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
So I need help with a name in this document. This is a marriage record from my great great grandparents in St Louis Missouri. It lists the names of their parents, but I am having a hard time reading the one I highlighted. I believe is says Crebaugh but I just don't feel convinced that is it. When googled it does show as a surename but not many people have it, and it just doesn't seem very Irish to me. I am new to family history and my Irish roots, so any help you can give would be awesome. I know that it says US french catholic church but I know that they were from Ireland. I believe this was the only catholic church at the time that they could be married in. St Louis didn't have a Irish parish yet.https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/10-08-2018/d78ed8ac-ed73-4ded-9233-71e1.jpg
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 11 Aug 2018 7:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 22
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:28 AM Visits: 2.8K
Hi Lindsay,

That's some very ambiguous handwriting indeed. My first guess was Crebaugh too, but as you said - that doesn't sound very Irish. It's the fourth letter that's causing problems. Have you tried using alternatives like Crefaugh, Crelaugh, Credaugh, or even a surname that ends with -ough? The conspicuous dot on the "e" might indicate it's an "i" in fact.

Hopefully some of our expert members proficient in handwriting deciphering will jump in with some other suggestions!

Joris