Hazlett family - Northern Ireland

Hazlett family - Northern Ireland

Author
Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 1:43 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi All, I'm hoping to visit Ireland early next year, any tips for finding a grave/headstone in Maghera (approx 1790's)? Not sure which cemetery though, I see there are a few on Goggle Maps.

Also, any good tips for having a look around.

Thanks, Claire

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:31 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Clare,

It’s lovely to hear you are visiting Ireland, I hope you have luck with finding your ancestors grave. There is loads to see and do around Maghera and the Causeway Coast, which is just about 40 minutes up the Road. Walsh’s Hotel in Maghera is a great place to stay and it’s very close to the Seamus Heaney Centre. I don’t know if your ancestors worked in the Linen Trade in Upperlands as we have a heritage Linen Tour starting at the end of August. On the Causeway Coast, you have iconic sites like Mussenden Temple, Giants Causeway and the Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge. Bushmills is also Home to the oldest whiskey distillery in the world. Check out our website for tours in the area - http://glenara-elite-travel.co.uk/

Kind Regards
Frances
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 11:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Claire, 

It's so exciting you're thinking of coming over to find out more about your Irish roots! What have you been able to discover about your ancestors so far? 

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all of the surviving records have been sorted into county based genealogical centres. Have you been in touch with the centre in County Derry-Londonderry yet? 
For headstone transcripts, take a look at the following pages:
It is also helpful to know which religion your ancestor belonged to when trying to locate the right graveyard or headstone. This way we will able to point you to the right parish, church records and archives. Have you been able to find any evidence about this during your research? 

On the Geneanet page you can find some Hazlett family connections and Hazlett family tree records as well. This might not be the right connection to your own ancestors, but it is definitely worth checking out. 

I hope this information was helpful, and please feel free to get in touch at any time if there's anything else you need. Keep us posted on your findings! :) 

What else did you have in mind for your trip? Is there anything in particular that you would like to see or do? We'd love to help you with some ideas and suggestions for your itinerary.

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 1:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Claire

Here's a link to graveyards in vicinity of  Maghera, County Derry
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery-browse/Northern-Ireland/County-Londonderry/Maghera?id=city_423940
and to transcriptions by Maghera Genealogy at http://magheragenealogy.org/graveyards-in-the-madghs-area/

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Aug 2018 6:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Claire,

I am very happy to hear that you are planning to trip to Ireland. I hope you are able to find out about your ancestors in the Maghera area. May I suggest contacting the Visitor Information Centre in that area as they may have some local contacts that could help with your search.

While here, I would encourage you to explore the delights of the Causeway Coast and Glens region.  Famed for its stunning scenery - beautiful glens, idyllic beaches, rugged cliffs and of course, the Giant's Causeway. Some of the other must see attractions in the area include the Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge, Dunluce Castle and the Mussenden Temple. You can find out more about what to see and do in the Causeway Coast and Glens by downloading our Visitor Guide - available from our website. https://www.visitcausewaycoast.

By any chance are you a Game of Thrones fan? The Causeway Coast play hosts to some of the most famous filming locations including Ballintoy Harbour and the world famous Dark Hedges. Glenara Elite do a fabulous guided tour and tell you all about the local area.

Driving back towards Belfast, I would suggest you follow the stunning Causeway Coastal Route. Voted as one of the best drives in the world, you will pass through a number beautiful villages and the historical town of Carrickfergus. With the sea by your side the whole way, it is a stunning way to travel to Belfast.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Ireland. Please do call into one of our Visitor Information Centres if you need anything. We are more than happy to help.

Best Regards,

Gina