Tolls

Tolls

Author
Posted Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:49 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi
This is my first post on here, my name is Brian and my wife and son (Caroline and Glen) are coming to Ireland for the first time.
I have a route to drive from Dublin airport to Leighlinbridge, which I believe involves a toll. Could some one explain how the tolls work please. I will be driving a hire car and I am not sure whether the hire company registers their cars for e-toll.
Do I pay at the toll, which I believe is not maned and if so how much please.
Thank you. Never been to Ireland and we hope to be having holidays there regularly.
Brian
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 30 Aug 2018 12:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Brian,

It's great to see you join us on the Community, with a great question regarding the M50 toll!

The toll operated by eFlow is indeed unmanned and requires paying either in advance or before 8 pm the day after going through the toll. Please take a look at our article for information and a wee video on how to pay. There is even an app for your phone, downloadable from Google Play or App Store.

There are signs along the route also giving details on how to pay with contact details allowing for payments by phone.

With regard to the hire car, please check with the individual rental car company as some do indeed have their vehicles registered and the charge is automatically applied. Some, however, do not and this will be your responsibility to pay. 

We would also love to hear about your plans for your time with us. Please feel free to share your itinerary as we all love to hear about visits to the island of Ireland.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 30 Aug 2018 12:27 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thanks Martin, your reply is very useful to us, as we are not used to tolls in my area I live in Yorkshire England.
We are having a holiday in Ireland for a couple of weeks and whilst we are there we will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I have some friends who lives in County Carlow his name is Glen Lucas, who has a Woodturning school. So I will be spending some time with him in his work shop and his wife name is Cornillia.
We are keen walkers, so plenty to see whilst in Ireland. We are also very keen amateur photographers and we are hoping for some stunning landscape shots, of which I am sure are plenty full.
We are flying in from Leeds Bradford airport, which takes about one hour into Dublin.
Many thanks for your valued reply
Brian
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 30 Aug 2018 10:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Brian, 

Your plans sound absolutely wonderful! I can imagine the toll roads take some getting used to, but since you're prepared I'm sure it'll all go smoothly. :)

What a lovely idea to celebrate your 40th anniversary here as well! What do you have planned for this special day? If you're ever in need of some tips or ideas, please don't hesitate to ask our members here for suggestions. 

As far as walking and hiking goes, you're spoilt for choice on the island, and I'm sure you'll find some great photo opportunities along the way as well. The Irish Trails website is a super helpful resource for finding and planning the perfect route, and you can find a lot of options in County Carlow. 

Please keep us posted on your adventures here, and we're here if you have any other questions! :)

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 Dec 2018 2:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 4:14 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Brian!

How's the planning coming along? I'm curious to know about the road trip and the walking trails you'll be going to take. If you have any tips or photos you would like to share with us, don't hesitate to open a new thread in our Tell your Story forum.

Cheers,

Francesco