I hear Ireland has a great music scene, any tips?

I hear Ireland has a great music scene, any tips?

Author
Posted Fri 7 Sep 2018 11:43 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
You’ve heard right! We’re world renowned for our love of music and talented performers. Music is a treasured part of our culture; from toe-tapping tunes and melancholic ballads to sell-out stadiums and electrifying shows, the Irish music scene is incredibly diverse. Here’s just some of what to expect when you visit.

If it is traditional Irish music you are looking for, then there is no better way to experience it than in one of our traditional pubs. Try The Brazen Head in Dublin, Fibber Magees up in Belfast or Cooley’s House in the traditional music capital, County Clare. Grab a seat, order a cool pint of Guinness and absorb this special atmosphere. Watch the musicians play their unforgettable harmonies (often by ear) on an array of traditional instruments like the fiddle, banjo and tin whistle and feel their infectious energy spread amongst the crowd.  On the island of Ireland, you’ll find music is a shared experience.

A new generation of Irish musicians are impressing around the world, as well as established Irish acts who have long been conquering the airwaves. The likes of Hozier, Two Door Cinema Club, Niall Horan and U2 put on incredible shows wherever they go, but nothing beats seeing them in their own backyard. And the venues they play are as impressive as themselves – check out Whelan’s or The Olympia in Dublin for more laidback and intimate performances, or the Oh Yeah Music Centre in Belfast to experience live music in a whole new way!

If classical music is your thing, Ireland doesn’t play second fiddle! Make sure to visit the stunning National Concert Hall in Dublin to hear performances in “the designated home of music in Ireland”, or head down to the elegant National Opera House in County Wexford, Ireland’s first ever purpose-built opera house.

Why not make a weekend of it and experience one of our music festivals? Try the famous Cork Jazz Festival for something a little different, catch some of the world’s leading performers at  Electric Picnic or camp out at the quirky Body and Soul festival in County Westmeath.

In Ireland, you will find there is music everywhere you go. With buskers singing in the streets, music spilling out of pubs and strangers humming tunes as they pass you by, there’s no escaping the rhythm on the lively island of Ireland!

Have any other Community members experienced the music scene in Ireland? Tell us your stories!
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/07-09-2018/417db733-0a44-4f1d-a7fb-589b.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:05 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:06 PM Visits: 7
Music is the heartbeat of Charlie's Bar in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh. There is Live Music every Friday and Saturday night. The week rounds off with a Traditional Irish Session on a Sunday evening.

Check out their Facebook or Instagram for the latest information on who is playing! 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Aug 2023 10:32 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:46 PM Visits: 309
They have wonderful and lively music.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Sep 2023 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 14 Jun 2024 1:27 PM Visits: 2.4K
Ballycastle Traditional Music Trail brings you closer to the instruments, the people who play them and the language, customs and history that make up the vibrant musical culture and traditions in the Glens of Antrim.  On the tour you will visit the pubs where the music has been kept alive for generations and at each stop you will be treated to live music in your own personal "session".

There are live sessions in the seaside towns of Portrush, Portstewart, Bushmills, Ballycastle and Cushendall. One of the many reasons to visit the Causeway Coast and Glens!
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 28 Sep 2023 5:34 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)I'm into this (264 reputation)
That place seems to be a wonderful location for Irish music.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Oct 2023 9:51 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 5 Feb 2024 12:03 PM Visits: 15
Hello! Here is a fantastic article with the 50 best traditional Irish folk songs of all time. From Galway Girl, Fields Of Athenry, Wild Rover, Seven Drunken Nights, Rocky Road to Dublin, Molly Malone...this way you will know all of them when you go to the pubs. Enjoy!   :arrow: The 50 best traditional Irish folk songs of all time

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Jan 2024 5:14 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
Thank you for sharing that. I too will check it out.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 5 Jun 2024 7:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)Community Expert (258 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 24 Jul 2024 7:38 PM Visits: 4.7K
I would have to share some of my local recommendations on te Dingle peninsula!

Music is such an integral part of Dingle town, so you are spoiled for choice!

The Dingle Pub has trad sessions on every night too in the summer, and often David Geaney, the famous tap dancer, performs here.

O’ Sullivan's Courthouse Pub, (locals just call it the Courthouse) next to Dingle’s Courthouse, has some legendary trad sessions on too.

Nelligan’s pub has traditional music sessions, on every night in the summer and weekend nights in the off season.The famous Begley’s often have their trad sessions here. They also have their own pub 'back west' as the locals say, which means west of Dingle on the peninsula. The pub is called Beagley's. If you are lucky enough to catch a session back West, it will be the super traditional ones where you have the old men singing Irish rebel songs.

Lastly, there is also a trad fest on west of Dingle, if you are lucky enough to catch it in the off season in February you will have a truly immersive experience, with all the talent of West Kerry coming down for this very local festival.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 26 Jul 2024 1:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 4
Group: Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:37 AM Visits: 15
Great recommendations! The Dingle Pub has music sessions every night and also tap dancing by David Geaney. O’Sullivan’s Courthouse and Nelligan’s are good places too for traditional music. Beagley’s have old-fashioned rebel songs if you go west.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 26 Jul 2024 3:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)Community Expert (22.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:33 PM Visits: 14.7K
I have some recommendations you're visiting Derry. This city has a vibrant music scene with a rich history and plenty of live music venues. Here are some tips to make the most of your musical exploration in Derry:

Peadar O'Donnell's: a well-known spot for traditional Irish music sessions. It's a lively place where you can experience the authentic sounds of Ireland. Truly recommended!

The Gweedore Bar: just two steps further on, there is this other great location for traditional music, often featuring local bands, which hosts open mic nights where local talents perform. It's a great way to see raw, live performances and discover new artists.

Sandinos: it's located next to the central bus station and is known for its eclectic mix of music, from rock to folk to reggae, but also trad sessions on Sunday afternoon. It has a relaxed vibe and often features live performances: it has an upper floor for gigs and events. 

Keep an eye out for local bands and artists who perform at these places. Derry has a strong indie and alternative music scene, with many up-and-coming musicians.