I'm thinking of visiting Ireland for the Galway Oyster Festival – what is it all about?

I'm thinking of visiting Ireland for the Galway Oyster Festival – what...

Author
Posted Fri 7 Sep 2018 12:12 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Galway’s bohemian city loves a party, and plays host to amazing festivals all year round – but there is one festival in particular that is a must-visit, and that is the Galway International Oyster and Seafood Festival. With delicious seafood on offer, as well as an array of family-friendly events on offer throughout the weekend, this is a great time to come visit the west coast’s thriving city of Galway.

At the oldest oyster festival in the world, get stuck into the action by watching the professionals go head-to-head at the Irish and World Oyster Shucking Championships. While you’re taking in their impressive skills, why not sample some of the succulent oysters and other delicious seafood dishes? It’s not all oyster celebrations however – feast your eyes on the colourful street parades, seafood trails and even a Mardi Gras masquerade ball!

Celebrate Galway’s top-class food scene over the course of the weekend with the seafood trails, which will lead you to some of the best seafood restaurants in Ireland. Wander the cobbled streets of Galway City and discover amazing restaurants and eateries around every corner – check out the Michelin-starred Aniar restaurant, or the best of Irish-style pizza at The Dough Bros.

While in Galway, why not make the most of the incredible location? Take a drive to the rocky wilderness of Connemara, head to the quaint harbour town of Clifden, or get a sample of the native Irish language in the Gaeltacht town of Spiddal. You’re also a short ferry ride away from the mystical Aran Islands – one of the must-visit places along the incredible Wild Atlantic Way.

Has anyone else been to the Galway International Oyster Festival? Share your tips with fellow Community members!
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/07-09-2018/10d7e9f2-a0b3-4a86-803e-8c7a.jpg