O'Keeffe family in Cork

O'Keeffe family in Cork

Author
Posted Fri 21 Sep 2018 5:04 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm searching for information on Arthur (Authur) O'Keeffe born 25 December, 1832. I believe he was born in Cork. His US Naturalisation papers list him as such. His obituary says he left for America at age 14, but I have not found him on any ship manifests around 1846/47. Can you give me any ideas as to where to turn? 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 21 Sep 2018 7:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Sue,

How lovely that you're researching your Irish roots. Sometimes we have a family member that just eludes us for a long time! Hopefully our list of resources can help you tap some previously untried sources.

Do you know what port in America your ancestor arrived at? Sometimes the lists of those entering the country can hold clues, and that's especially true if you keep in mind that spelling wasn't always as it should be when passengers were registered.

Also, his obituary may have been based on his or family members' recollections, which means they may be off by quite a few years, so expanding your search to 5 or even 10 years either way may help you find more. Do you know if he travelled to the US alone or with one or more family members?

Wishing you succesful searches,
Cornelia