Looking for coffee and wound up with a proposal one year later

Looking for coffee and wound up with a proposal one year later

Author
Posted Tue 9 Oct 2018 6:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
In 2016 I decided to take the trip of a lifetime that I had only dreamt about since I was little. I had survived cancer, recently divorced, started a new career as a high school teacher, was turning 40 and was raising 2 teenagers on my own. I decided that it was time to finally take the plunge and travel to Ireland...on my own...totally alone!

I had 8 days planned for my trip with no actual "plans." I had only my plane tickets and a rental car. I went there knowing that I wanted to see Dublin and the northern bits of Ireland, I just didn't know where. While in a Dublin pub in Temple Bar, I met a friendly gentleman that suggested I take the road up to Giant's Causeway. On the way there, the rain was pouring down and I was cold (I'm from the desert in Arizona in the US - in the middle of June, when I was traveling, it was 110 degrees at home and only about 45 degrees in Ireland). So, I saw a little sign that advertised a cup of coffee...that sounded fantastic. I pulled off the side of the road and there was a little house with a gate (and a Keurig for coffee). As I went in, I was very intrigued and asked the front desk person about the place. He filled me in with all the information about Mussenden Temple. So, I bought a ticket and decided to spend some time there (and forgot to get coffee!). It was 4 days into my trip when I stumbled across this magnificent find and it hit me - I WAS FINALLY IN IRELAND! I skipped down the path, looking like a complete fool, but didn't care - I had finally made my dream come true! I spent the afternoon there, taking in all the sights from the ruins, the cliffs, even the tunnel for the train. 

Fast forward to one year later (and one day) and I've returned there with my 17 year old son and my boyfriend. My boyfriend and I had been dating about 10 months and on our first date I had mentioned to him about how wonderful Mussenden Temple was and how it really is my favorite place in the world. I had no idea that he had some pretty special plans as we returned there together. 

As we pulled in, I was really enjoying seeing the sights through their eyes. Neither one of them had been to Ireland before, so it was very special to me to see this through them. As we walked around the park we took many pictures and walked for quite a while. When we arrived, it was raining. But as we walked, the sky cleared up and the weather turned warm. We were all down in the ravine, looking at the water and the ocean and my boyfriend said that he was going to go ahead of us to venture out. My son and I took our time, enjoying and taking in all the sights. We would lean on the walls, looking out at the ocean. We would walk through the grass and just enjoy the greenery (we live in the desert - everything is pretty much dirt!). When we came up the hill, I saw my boyfriend crouched down and breathing heavier than usual. I asked if he was okay and he said that he was feeling a little nausea from the travel and the height from the cliff. He said that he was fine and that I should go on without him. 

My son and I came up to the Temple and he was just amazed at the beauty of all around us. We walked around the outside and then ventured inside. We both had our cameras and were taking pictures at every turn. Then, while looking around, my boyfriend pulled me to the center of the Temple and said "I always said that when we got to this place together, I would have a question to ask you." Then he got on one knee and proposed. All the while, I'm hoping that since it's only the 3 of us in the Temple that my son would be taking pictures or video, or some way of recording this moment for me. Well, just about when we were done with the proposal, my son turns to show me a picture that he had been composing and wanted my opinion - a picture of a SPIDER! He was so focused on the spider in the window, that he missed the proposal. And, honestly, I think I like that part of the story a little more than one that would have been scripted. 

We spent the rest of the day touring the park and taking in all the sights (my fiancee was much happier and relieved now that the proposal was done, AND I had said yes). We eloped 13 days later when we returned home and plan on returning back to Mussenden Temple to relive and enjoy the memories that we made there. And to think, this all started with me wanting a cup of coffee one year earlier...

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/09-10-2018/31c51abd-7e0e-42d9-91d3-645a.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 9 Oct 2018 1:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Stacy, 

What a wonderful and romantic story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us, it was an absolute delight to read. It sounds like that friendly gentleman in the Dublin pub really did give you the perfect suggestion on where to go! :)

I am so happy that Mussenden Temple and the area around it are so special to you, and that you made such wonderful memories here with your family. We hope we get to welcome you back many times, and we'd love to read all about your future adventures here.

Warm regards,

Melin