SURFING in Lahinch

SURFING in Lahinch

Author
Posted Fri 19 Oct 2018 12:53 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Truth be told, my experience in Ireland is worthy of a book. It was that INCREDIBLE!!! I will share one of the many, many unbelievable encounters I had while I was in Ireland. I'm from Huntington Beach, California, otherwise known as "Surf City USA". With that in mind, about ten years ago, I was waiting in line at a McDonalds when I noticed a guy in front of me wearing a "SURF LAHINCH" shirt. I was surprised to learn they were surfing in Ireland, I took a picture of the back of the guy's shirt and told myself, if I ever go to Ireland, I am going to Lahinch! Well, two years ago, my youngest sister (there are nine of us) surprised me with my trip of a lifetime ~ Ireland! I packed up a brand new t-shirt from the US OPEN of Surfing in Huntington Beach. My intention was to find a young surfer and gift him the shirt. We made it to Lahinch and I looked around the streets for a local surfer... couldn't find one, so popped into Danny Mac's for a bite. Finally, came across a handsome lad who'd just come out of the water and was headed home with his board. I approached him and told him my story, then I took the shirt out of my purse and gave it to him. He was shocked! "You're giving me this shirt?" I said, "Oh, hell yes I'm giving it to you!" He was so charming and so grateful. I was sorry later I didn't get his name. When I returned home, it really haunted me that I didn't get the kids's name, so I went on fb and looked up the surf shop. I sent them a picture of the kid and asked if they knew who he was. They knew him immediately and identified him as Tadgh Kennedy. I contacted him through fb and included the photo we'd taken together. He was so excited to hear from me. He said the shirt brought him good luck, as several weeks after I'd given him the shirt, the HURLEY surf team came to town and offered him a sponsorship!! He couldn't stop thanking me for the lucky shirt. This was only ONE of the absolutely wonderful things that happened to me while I was living my fantasy in Ireland. There was magic every single day I was there. It was just like a movie. It was just like a song . . .https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/19-10-2018/180fea45-6d41-47fe-a0b0-1168.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 20 Oct 2018 6:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Denise, 

What an amazing story! That t-shirt definitely was a lucky one, and it sounds like a wonderful experience for the both of you. It's great that you could connect with another surf-fan this way. :D 

We'd love to hear more about your surprise trip of a lifetime. What else was on your itinerary besides Lahinch? Did you travel to any other surf spots along the Wild Atlantic Way? 

Warm regards,

Melin