Lyle family from Toreagh

Lyle family from Toreagh

Author
Posted Thu 6 Dec 2018 12:49 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello from the USA! I am searching for information about where my Lyle ancestors settled. A portion of our Lyle family book reads as follows: "Of several Lyle families in County Antrim was one having their place of residence at Toreagh. Tradition gives the date of their coming to Ireland as 1606. The location and date are suggestive that it was one of those Scotch families settling on lands of Sir Randall MacDonnell in the vicinity of Larne".
Our traceable lineage of the Lyles of Toreagh begins with John Lyll, born about 1615 & married Florence Montgomery about 1640. (The spelling was Lyll until about 1725 when it was changed to Lyle).
I would love to visit the Larne area and walk on the same ground where my Lyle ancestors came from. However, I can't find ANY information about Toreagh on the internet and am wondering if it was a village or parish that no longer exists. If anyone can tell me about Toreagh, or where I can get more information, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much in advance!
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 6 Dec 2018 11:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Denise,

Tracing family history back that far can be tricky indeed!

Lots of townland names, like surnames, become changed over the years and some do indeed disappear completely.

Have you tried contacting the Ulster Historical Foundation to see if they can shed any light on the townland of Toreagh, as indeed there seems to be no record of it anymore?

There is a Toreagh Primary school 5 miles south of Larne in a place near Raloo which may be of some connection to the old townland.

With Larne being on the coastline close to Scotland, many families traveled this route and do so still today.

Hopefully, some of our Industry partners and fellow members will have some advice also.

Speak soon

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 6 Dec 2018 7:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Denise

As Martin says the townland of Toreagh is located in Raloo parish, just to the south of Larne. It is spelt on maps today as Tureagh.

To examine historic maps and aerial photograph of Toreagh search Public Record Office of Northern Ireland’s Historical Map viewer at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer . By entering ‘Tureagh (Raloo)' in ‘Type Placename or Address’ box you will be able to view, by selecting 'Layer List' tab, first edition (1832-1846), second edition(1846-1862), third edition (1900-1907) and fourth edition (1905-1957) Ordnance Survey maps of Toreagh.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 6 Dec 2018 9:38 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you so much Martin & Brian for taking the time to answer, and for the information! I am very grateful to have found this website!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 5:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Denise, that's a wonderful map programme Brian has recommended - I am so glad you were able to locate the townland - such a specific piece of land. If we can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our website is www.ancestryireland.com.

Best wishes, 

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation