Best way from Dublin - Roscommon - West Coast?

Best way from Dublin - Roscommon - West Coast?

Author
Posted Fri 7 Dec 2018 7:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, I am trying to plan a trip beginning in Dublin and heading west (through Roscommon to visit someone there) and then on to various sites on West Coast (Cliffs of Moher, Limerick, Killarney). I've been trying to sort out how I would go about taking a bus and a train and it seems complicated and I feel like I would need a car. What would be your advice to do this in the least stressful way and if a car is best, I notice the Ireland.com website says car agenciews require a "National Driving License". I just want to be sure this just means my normal, United States driver's license?
Also, is there any particular car insurance I would need to get to be able to rent a car in Ireland?
Thanks so much for any help you can offer.
Donna

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 7 Dec 2018 9:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Donna, 

It's so exciting you're planning on travelling around the island, and I am more than happy to provide you with more information about renting a car and public transport. Most car rental companies require a valid driving license, and I recommend reaching out to them directly about the requirements. Have you decided on the route yet? Take a look at some of our favourite trip ideas for recommended places to stop along the way. If you'd like to take a look at the options via bus or train, just give me a shout. I'd love to see if I can help you find a convenient route.

While you're in Dublin you can easily navigate through the city by public transport or by walking, and it's a great way to get to know the area. From there on you can travel by car (or public transport) to your next destination. 

If there's anything else you need, please don't hesitate to send us a message. We're always here to help! 

Wishing you a great weekend,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 10:41 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Donna,

Another great option to consider is camper hire providing your accommodation and transport in one!

Lazy Days VW campers are warm, reliable, and very economical - ideal for trouble free touring and camping. Their small size makes them easy to drive, ideal for negotiating Ireland’s typically small roads, towns & villages.

We are very happy help you plan a truly unique holiday.  We have lots of trip ideas, recommended routes, destinations, and campsites to share with you. We are always only a phone call or email away and are happy to help you throughout your booking and holiday experience. In Ireland, we are incredibly fortunate to have the freedom to explore some of the most beautiful landscapes and wilderness in the world in relative peace and quiet. Here are some high-level suggestions to start with:

Newgrange: Ireland’s 5000-year-old Neolithic Passage Grave and interpretive center. We highly recommend this experience

Ireland's Ancient East comprises an area in the East and South East of Ireland and is packed full of culture and antiquities. If you like culture and interested in discovering lots of heritage and history, then this is for you!T here are seven different suggested driving routes / itineraries within the Ancient East zone.

If you wish to travel West then The Wild Atlantic Way offers breath-taking scenery all along the West Coast of Ireland. You could even take a trip out to one of the Aran Islands in Galway Bay to get an insight into the traditional Irish way of life. There are far too many attractions along the WAW to detail here, but a few worthy of mention are Glenveagh National Park, the Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, Dingle Peninsula, The Burren,Cliffs of Moher, Connemara & Kylemore Abbey. There WAW has been divided into the following bite sized regions: Northern Headlands, Surf Coast, Bay Coast,Cliff Coast, Southern Peninsulas, Haven Coast.

If you are traveling North then have a look at the Causeway Coastal Route. This route takes in the stunning rugged north coast and includes some great highlights like the Giants Causeway, Belfast,  the Titanic Museum, Dunluce and Carrickfergus Castles and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge to name but a few.

If you like the sound of any of these trip ideas we would be very happy to give you more detailed advice and can also recommend our favorite campsites along the route.

Happy planning!
Best wishes, Sue

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/11-12-2018/906a4ff8-c3f6-45a2-8c16-ac4d.jpg