This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

County Cavan Family History - Brady

County Cavan Family History - Brady

Author
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 18 Dec 2018 4:01 PM Visits: 13
Hello. I am trying to trace my family history. My father was from County Cavan. His name was Michael Joseph Brady. His father was called Joseph Brady and his mother I think was Mary Brady. I believe his father was a farmer. My father had 5 siblings. Matty, Jack, Tommy, Betty and Rose. My father left Ireland in the 1950s to come to England.

I appreciate that this is not a huge amount of information but could anyone point me in the direction of how I might find out more?

Thank you

Derek Brady

Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 1:20 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)Community Expert (1.1K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 50 minutes ago Visits: 237
Hello Derek,

Knowing the county that your family hails from really does give such an important starting place in your search, as it can narrow down where to look and who to contact for more information. 

As your father was living in the Republic of Ireland between 1921 and 1950, you may wish to contact the General Register Office of Ireland. They would be able to help find official family documents, like births, marriages, adoptions, or deaths. You can read more about how to contact this office in our Helpful Research Tips thread, which I cannot recommend enough as it is just full of wonderful advice.

Addition, I would also suggest taking a peek at our thread Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-Step Guide, which offers many great resources. Particularly, the 1911 census in the National Archives may prove of use, if you know roughly when your grandfather was born. Beyond that, there are even more helpful tips and tricks which you may find useful.

I do hope that this helps and there's an amazing community of experts here who I am sure would be more than happy to lend you a hand as well!

Wishing you the best of luck,

Rochelle
Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 5:42 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)Gaining Respect (161 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 18 Dec 2018 4:01 PM Visits: 13
Thank you Rochelle
Posted Wed 12 Dec 2018 1:17 PM
Question