County Cavan Family History - Brady

County Cavan Family History - Brady

Author
Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 1:20 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello. I am trying to trace my family history. My father was from County Cavan. His name was Michael Joseph Brady. His father was called Joseph Brady and his mother I think was Mary Brady. I believe his father was a farmer. My father had 5 siblings. Matty, Jack, Tommy, Betty and Rose. My father left Ireland in the 1950s to come to England.

I appreciate that this is not a huge amount of information but could anyone point me in the direction of how I might find out more?

Thank you

Derek Brady

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Dec 2018 5:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Derek,

Knowing the county that your family hails from really does give such an important starting place in your search, as it can narrow down where to look and who to contact for more information. 

As your father was living in the Republic of Ireland between 1921 and 1950, you may wish to contact the General Register Office of Ireland. They would be able to help find official family documents, like births, marriages, adoptions, or deaths. You can read more about how to contact this office in our Helpful Research Tips thread, which I cannot recommend enough as it is just full of wonderful advice.

Addition, I would also suggest taking a peek at our thread Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-Step Guide, which offers many great resources. Particularly, the 1911 census in the National Archives may prove of use, if you know roughly when your grandfather was born. Beyond that, there are even more helpful tips and tricks which you may find useful.

I do hope that this helps and there's an amazing community of experts here who I am sure would be more than happy to lend you a hand as well!

Wishing you the best of luck,

Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 12 Dec 2018 1:17 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 1 Feb 2020 7:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi, I'm looking to trace my Brady line in Ireland.  Word of mouth in my family is that the Brady's came from County Cavan.  My 3rd great grandfather, George Brady, was born in May 1834 in Ireland.  He was married in America in 1857, so emigrated between 1834 and 1857.  I would love to find his parents, so any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! 
P.S., not sure how to use this forum, if I need to create a new post, or post here...
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Feb 2020 3:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Mary,

It's lovely to see that you have Brady connections too, you may even be related to Derek in some way!

We would love you to start your own discussion so that we can help you specifically and not get all confused with Derek's search for family information. Using the Create New Topic button will give us the chance to help you with your quest. 🙂

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Feb 2020 11:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Any dates for births?? There are over 50 Brady's born in Cavan between 1900 and 1935 .... 

Or go to www.irishgenealogy.ie and look at civil births :-) 

Happy Hunting!
Ginger
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 1 Aug 2023 7:38 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Aug 2023 7:36 AM Visits: 2
Interesting post Derek. My great grandparent were from Cavan their names were Joseph and Mary Brady, they were farmers. Their children were called Jack Jo Edward and Harold. All left Ireland and Joseph and Mary passed in the late forties early fifties. My mother had the name Mary in her names.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Aug 2023 7:04 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 29 Aug 2023 7:01 PM Visits: 3
Hi all! 

I am a brady as well! I am not sure when my family left Ireland but I do know that we have a large family still over there. My dad spent a good deal of his young adult years over in Ireland and still speaks of the family today! 
What I do know is that my great grandparent Patrick Brady and Mary Cullen met in Scotland so I assume it was them who migrated. 
I also know Thomas is a strong family name! 
The Brady family in Ireland were farmers from what mu dad recalls. 
I believe co cavan is where they are from. 
So if anyone ever knew a Mark Cullen Brady, back in the 1970s I would love to hear from you!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Dec 2023 4:30 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 24 Dec 2023 3:46 AM Visits: 641
Hi, I am looking for my 5th Great Grandfather his name is  Terrence Brady dob 1761 Co,Cavan, Ireland did July 9 , 1849 Co Cavan,Ireland married to Mary last name unknown dob about 1763 Ireland  dod 1835 Ned ,Killeshandra, co, Cavan, Ireland   their son my 4th Great Grandfather  Michael Brady dob about 1791 Lavey, Upper Loughtee co Cavan, Ireland  dod August 3,1860  Philadelphia, Pennsylvania married to Rosemary Cagans dob about 1791 Lavey Upper Loughtee  co Cavan ,Ireland dod September 8 1873 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania their son my 3rd Great Grandfather Edward  Frances Brady dob 1812 County  Cavan ,Ireland dod December 14,1879 Bronx, New York. Married to Mary Shields dob June 1812 County Westmeath, Ireland dod August 15, 1893 Bronx, New York. their son my 2nd Great Grandfather Michael Brady dob 1835 Cavan Ireland dod November 25,1899 Ottawa, Illinois married to Bridget Burns dob May 1834 Co, Carlow, Ireland dod June 1,1904 Ottawa,Illinois. Not sure if the words of places are spelled correctly that's how they were spelled when I researched them.  I do have a  family tree site at http://rensberger.tribalpages.com       My email is (removed due to privacy rules)   Thank you

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Dec 2023 7:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)Community Expert (2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 10:48 PM Visits: 25.8K
Hi Brenda,

It looks like you've done quite a lot of research - it's impressive to see how much you've been able to find out already! 💚

Before 1864, records were kept in the form of church and parish records. Those which have survived over the years have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. You can browse those church records online and also reach out to the Cavan Genealogy centre. Should you encounter difficulties in your search, you could also get in touch with the advisory services provided by the National Archives and the National Library of Ireland.

I hope this helps! Wishing you best of luck in your further research! 📚☘️
Rebecca