Hammond Bingham born approx. 1846

Hammond Bingham born approx. 1846

Author
Posted Thu 13 Dec 2018 8:47 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi looking for any relatives of my great great Grandfather Hammond Bingham who I think was born in Londonderry in 1846.  He died at 35 years old.  He was a stationmaster and married Jane Steele who I think was from Belfast.   From the information that I can trace so far he had at least 5 children - Mary, Margaret, Thomas, Jane and David.   Thomas was my great grandfather, who died in South Africa in 1904.   His children mainly settled in Scotland.  Thank you 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Dec 2018 11:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
Hello Leslie,

It's great that you have already gathered so much information on your family. 

A lot of the Bingham were indeed registered in County Antrim. I invite you to check the index on this page as well as these useful research tips.

I hope this helps a little bit, and that our fellow members may be able to help further.

Please keep us updated with your research.

Vriendelijke groeten,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Dec 2018 12:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hello Leslie, I have had a quick look on the birth and marriage records available on www.rootsireland.ie and have found a reference to the marriage of a Hamilton Bingham and Jane Steele in County Down in 1865. I have also found reference to a child of Hammond Bingham and Jane Steel in County Londonderry in 1881 on the same website. Hammond also died that year according to www.irishgenealogy.ie.

We offer a wide range of research services and would be delighted to carry out research into your family for you. You can find out more information here: https://www.ancestryireland.com/research-services/.

Best wishes, 

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Dec 2018 1:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Leslie

It would indeed look as if your ancestor was stationmaster at Kilrea, County Derry in 1881 as database of Derry Genealogy, at www.derry.rootsireland.ie, records the following birth:

Born: 22 August 1881 at Kilrea
Henry Hammond Bingham to Hammond Bingham, railway station master and Jane Steele

To examine historic maps and aerial photograph of town of Kilrea search Public Record Office of Northern Ireland’s Historical Map viewer at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer. By entering ‘Kilrea’ in ‘Type Placename or Address’ box you will be able to view, by selecting 'Layer List' tab, first edition (1832-1846), second edition(1846-1862), third edition (1900-1907) and fourth edition (1905-1957) Ordnance Survey maps of Kilrea town.

In the 2nd, 3rd and 4th edition maps the line of the railway and the railway station are clearly marked! This section of railway, originally known as Derry Central Railway, opened in 1855 and later became part of Midland Railway Northern Counties section.