Anyone want to be a pen pal?

Anyone want to be a pen pal?

Author
Posted Tue 18 Dec 2018 3:47 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Good day!

I am looking for some information and hope this isn’t too far off topic for this community.

I’m trying to find a pen pal for my mother-in-law, Bonny. Yes, a pen pal. Someone who wants to write letters back and forth to each other. I have tried searching the internet, but end up finding what seem like international dating services. I thought asking a group of people that knew a lot about culture, people and places might be a safe place to ask.

We live in the United States and Bonny’s grandmother came to America from Ireland … somewhere. She is fascinated with Ireland and its culture, but has not been able to locate any useful information on her ancestry. I’m trying to get a pen pal for her as a Christmas gift and only found this site just now. I know she would be so excited to write to someone actually in Ireland. If you, someone you know would want to correspond with Bonny, I would be tremendously grateful. If you need any other information, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your time!

Kevin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Dec 2018 9:05 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Kevin,
Do you have a preference of which part of Ireland you would like your penpal to come from.  I live in Coleraine in Northern Ireland and have a dear friend in a nursing home, who I am sure would love to be a penpal.  At present I am away on holiday but can ask her when I get home, if your mother-in-law would like someone from this part of Ireland.

Kind Regards
Frances
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Dec 2018 11:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Kevin,

It's lovely to hear that your mother-in-law Bonny has connections with the island of Ireland!

Has she ever tried to trace her family history, we have some excellent resource information here on the forum that may be of use. 

A big thanks also to Frances for the offer of a potential pen-pal. Corresponding by letter is a dying art and both would benefit from starting up an "across the pond" communication I'm sure.

We look forward to hearing on any news.

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Dec 2018 2:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Frances:

Thank you so much for responding while on holiday. Yes! I would love to have your friend correspond with Bonny. And about being in Northern Ireland, quite honestly, as long as my mother-in-law gets to write "Ireland" in the address she will be thrilled beyond belief. 

I'm not familiar enough with the group to know how to exchange personal information, so if someone can tell me, that would be great.

Thanks again Frances!  You probably don't know how excited Bonny will be ... but I'm sure your friend will find out.

Kevin 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Dec 2018 10:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 3 hours ago Visits: 22K
Hi Kevin & Frances - that's fantastic news!

Kevin - I will send you an e-mail with Frances' e-mail address and hopefully you can get in touch with her. I hope your mother-in-law will be happy with her Christmas present!

Please let us know how you get on with your project!