Bagnell/Bagnal/Canning

Bagnell/Bagnal/Canning

Author
Posted Thu 10 Jan 2019 4:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm a descendant of Richard and Jane (Canning) Bagnell and I am looking for the connection to Ireland either from Meath or Mayo Co. and other Bagnells and Cannings. They immigrated to America in 1841 with their eldest son Patrick born in 1837 via New York.
Jane Canning had a brother Martin and two sisters Catherine & Anne (Gillick) 
Thank you, 
Jody 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 11:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Jody,

How wonderful to read that you were able to uncover your Irish roots. :) I would love to see if I can point you in the right direction for more information. 

Where did you find the lead to County Mayo and Meath? Was it by any chance mentioned on their immigration records or papers? During Griffith's Valuation (1847 - 1864) there were a total of 28 households by the name Bagnell on the island of Ireland. Four of these households were living in County Meath, and none in County Mayo

The same goes for the name Bagnal, which is a name that is quite rare. During Griffith's Valuation there were only two households by that name on the whole island, and one of these was located in County Meath as well. 

In this case I recommend reaching out to the genealogy centre in County Meath, as they look after all of the remaining church and parish records from before 1864, when civil registration was introduced in Ireland. 

I hope some of the experts here will be able to look into your question as well, and please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything else you need. 

Warm regards,

Melin 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 3:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Jody,

I had a quick look at the baptismal records on www.rootsireland.ie and found a reference to the baptism of a Richard Bagnal (sic) in 1814 in County Meath who would be of the right age to be your ancestor. Richard was not that common a first name at that time.

You may wish to contact Meath Heritage Centre (noeltrim@gmail.com) which is responsible for the Meath records on www.rootsireland.ie.

All the best for your search!

Best wishes, 

Gillian,

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation