Solo traveller late April

Solo traveller late April

Author
Posted Sat 12 Jan 2019 10:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello.
I am heading over arriving in Dublin (arr 24th and leave 8th May).
On arrival, I will pick up a hire car, and as I get in about midday, I have decided that jet lag can be put off for a couple of hours and will spend my first two nights in Wexford.  My only real destination that is a must (don't know why) is Cong, so I am winding my way around.
My other 'must' is to go out with a falconer!

My question/s are:  Do I need an international drivers license?  I am 60 and Australian  :)
                                Are there any festivals at that time?

This will do to start! Starting to get excited now it's only 4 months away!  My mum's family came from Ireland and I just want to walk and feel the land.

Thank you for your time,
Cella

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 12 Jan 2019 4:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Cella, 

It's so exciting that you're almost here! I would love to answer all of your questions about your upcoming trip. :)

Starting off your adventure in Wexford is a great idea, and there are some wonderful things to explore. Is there anything in particular that you would like to see or do while you're there? 

Are you interested in visiting the Quiet Man filming locations while you're in Cong? Make sure to check out Westport, as well as the beautiful coastline of County Mayo if you have the time. 

For an overview of all recommended falconry centres and activities, please take a look here

Usually a valid driving license is all you need, but it is always a good idea to reach out to your car rental company beforehand to ask about the requirements. They would be more than happy to assist you. In the meantime, you can find further information in this helpful thread about International Driving Licenses as well.

While you're here, there are at least three festivals taking place on the island. Make sure to keep an eye on this list as more events will be added throughout the year. 

It is also very exciting that you will be visiting the land of your ancestors! Do you happen to know where on the Emerald Isle your roots started? If you need some help to find out more, I would love to see if I can point you in the right direction. There also is a whole part of the Community dedicated to genealogical research where you can find more tips and resources. 

I hope this was helpful, and please feel free to reach out here if there's anything else you need.

Happy planning! :) 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 12 Jan 2019 9:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Melin for your quick reply!

The email you sent came through in German - I am in Australia, so English speaking! but came on the site and found your reply.
I will take in the Quiet Man Museum and am thinking I may stay in the area for 2-3 days as it seems a great base to look around.
I am now unsure of where mums family came from, but think it was County Meath.  The family name is Murtagh but as my time is only short (2 weeks) I will not have the opportunity to give it the research needed.
I have no real expectations for my trip apart from those mentioned - I want to let Ireland take me where it wants if that makes sense.
Thank you so much for the help and I may be back in contact the closer I get!
Have a wonderful day
Cella
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Cella
Ashford Castle near Cong do wonderful falconry experiences and Corrib Cruises do a lovely boat trip on the lough there too. The museum of Irish country life is in Castlebar, close to Cong, well worth a visit. 
Murtagh is a very popular name in Meath so that sounds about right! Pity you don't have time to research, but there's loads available online if you wanted to look before you came over. Check out www.irishgenealogy.ie, if you have any information. 
Some info here on driving permit required;  https://www.ireland.com/about-ireland/travelling-within-ireland/travel-by-road/
Have fun planning your trip! 
Áine
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 3:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Cella, 

Thanks for getting back to me, and letting me know about the German update via email. I will make sure to look into it! 

Luckily a large part of your research can be done from home, as a lot of the archives and records are available online. :) As Love Ireland already mentioned, the name Murtagh is very popular in County Meath, but it originated in County Kerry. You can read more about the history of the name here

Do you have any papers that could give us a clue to where your ancestors were from? Please feel free to start a thread on the Genealogy section of the Community so our experts can take a look, and our friends over at Ireland Family History are always happy to help as well! :)

If there is anything else you need, you'll know where to find me! 

Warm regards, 

Melin