I hear Vikings is filmed in Ireland...what’s the story? I love that show

I hear Vikings is filmed in Ireland...what’s the story? I love that...

Author
Posted Thu 17 Jan 2019 11:07 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Yes, Vikings is filmed in Ireland! Since series one, Vikings has been filmed in the garden county of Ireland, County Wicklow. With its striking landscapes, impressive mountains and remarkable views, County Wicklow is beautiful whatever the season, and is certainly a worthy stand-in for the Vikings ancestral home!

You may recognise some places in Wicklow from key scenes in the TV show. Lough Tay, or, ‘Guinness Lake’, doubles as the village of Kattegat in the series, where Viking warrior Ragnar resides with his family. Lough Tay is located on the property of the Guinness family, and from a certain angle, it's said to look like a pint of the famous drink due to its shape and white sands!

You may also recognise Powerscourt Estate and its majestic waterfall, also in County Wicklow. Nestled in the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains, it’s the highest waterfall in Ireland at a staggering 121m! It was here that the Vikings first introduced Aslaugh, the second wife of Ragnar. The Powerscourt House was built in the 17th century by the 1st Viscount of Powerscourt and is just as impressive today. Stroll through the grounds and admire the colourful gardens which was included in the top ten gardens of the world by National Geographic!

If you’ve had your fill of Wicklow, head to Slane Castle in County Meath where key shots are filmed, including the iconic Viking longboats that the characters use to travel.

If Viking history is what you’re interested in, then you’re in luck. Ireland has a long history with the Vikings, since the first invasions in the 9th century. The Viking influence is everywhere, including placenames – the ‘ford’ in Waterford and Wexford are corruptions of the Norse word ‘fjord’. On a visit to Ireland’s oldest city, Waterford, visit Reginald’s Tower, so named after the first Viking that settled in Waterford. Close by is the Viking Virtual Reality Adventure, which uses holograms and animation to immerse you in the Viking heritage that surrounds Waterford.

Can our community members suggest any other places that have a Viking history to our readers?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/17-01-2019/4636ee3e-28db-49a1-936d-3d37.jpg