15 days in Ireland

15 days in Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 3:34 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Melin, we enjoy, walking/hiking, biking and eating good food  - Ireland, from all the images on the internet, looks breathtaking. 

Doolin2arn, THIS is exactly what type of information I'm looking for; day trips from my three bases...Dublin, Limerick and ????????

I love this forum.

Thanks!!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 12:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:40 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hello, Penny.

If you fancy walking/hiking, and you want to discover Ireland's beautiful landscape at your own pace, I suggest taking a look at the surrounding area of Dublin: there are several way-marked paths and loop trails with fantastic views over the Dublin Bay, or you could explore the Wicklow Uplands, depending on the route you take.

For your third base, I'd recommend Galway, as it's one hour and half by car from Limerick, and two hours and half from Dublin. Also, there are two other good reasons to visit this bustling area: The first one is that County Galway was awarded the European Region of Gastronomy in 2018 for its high quality food and restaurants. Secondly, because it is close to Connemara, one of the wildest bits of land on the west coast of Ireland, perfect for trekking, cycling and wildlife lovers.

If you need further tips to plan your trip, I'll be glad to help you. :)

Francesco
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 9:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Penny,

Thanks for the feedback, glad to help :) 

As for city #3, it really depends on what you are most attracted to.  For some, it is all about the wildness of the west coast (not called the Wild Atlantic Way for nothing!)  In that case, maybe go up towards Sligo or Westport and see the northern part - not as many tourists up that side and really stunning scenery.  (You will be able to do daytrips to Kerry from your Limerick base).

If you want more of a city vibe, Cork is a great city - historic Cobh with its Titanic connection is closeby and beautiful Kinsale has a fabulous restaurant foodie vibe.

Last option to suggest would be to go to the south east, Kilkenny perhaps.  The scenery on the east coast is completely different to the west, lots of rolling green fields and long sandy beaches.  Kilkenny is a great city, compact but buzzy.

We are all about the west of course, but I suppose you cant spend 15 days here, the other counties would only get jealous ;)

All the best 
Joan and all at Garrihys Doolin2Aran Ferries