All thanks to The Sligo Weekender

All thanks to The Sligo Weekender

Author
Posted Thu 24 Jan 2019 8:46 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I visited Ireland in 2013 and through a few flukes of timing managed to locate my father's cousin in Longford who showed me a photograph of my Great Grandparents that I had never seen before and then took me to their graves. I also went to the archives in Dublin and managed to get a copy of my Grandfather's birth certificate, but found anything earlier was not available.

Upon returning to Australia, I paid for a subscription with Ancestry.com to see if I could trace my family back further, but eventually I hit a wall with with any new information, so I decided to write the The Sligo Weekender to ask if they could put a notice in their paper to see if anybody recognised the relatives I was searching for.

To my surprise, they actually printed a half page article that was a huge success, as I found family I didn't know I had (my Great Great Grandparents are his Great Grandparents) and they sent me a number of photos that again I had never seen before. They also managed to confirm some information that I had and advised me that they still live in the same family home (albeit renovated) as my Great Great Grandparents lived.

I hope to return in the near future and meet them properly as it has been a great experience finding family I didn't know I had.
I just wanted to show my appreciation to the paper for taking the time to help.

Regards, Gavin O'Reilly

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/24-01-2019/a6a7cbee-0b7c-4ef7-bc19-c314.jpghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/24-01-2019/7f557314-f354-41f7-80b9-6f9e.jpghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/24-01-2019/c5346660-090e-430e-8a15-bf1e.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Jan 2019 10:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Gavin, 

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing story with us! :D 

We are so happy to hear that The Sligo Weekender was able to help you in such a wonderful way, and that you discovered relatives you never knew you had. 

Please keep us posted on your future findings, and we'd love to hear about a future trip to Ireland to meet your family. :)

Warm regards,

Melin