John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

Author
Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 5:28 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am  looking for John Fitzgerald who was born abt 1776 and died 11 Nov `1834 in Limerick, Limerick, Ireland. His wife was Anna  Maria. When he died she married James D'Arcy Evans. Peerage books say January 2, 1834. John was an Attorney, Notary Public and Commissioner of taking Affidavits in all the Courts. There children were Maria Louisa born 1803 married Ensign Paul Hughes of the 79th Cameron Highlanders on Feb 22, 1821. Catherine Louisa born bet 1805-1807 who married David Ferguson from Rathkeale. John Coote born 1807 who was an attorney and moved to  Liverpool, England. Henry who was born 1810. In John and Anne's marriage she is listed as Anne Fitzgerald. I am trying to figure out who John and Anne's parents were. Thank You for your help.

Carla Shaw Johnson

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 7:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Carla, 

It's great to see that you were able to trace your roots this far back! 

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all the surviving records have been sorted into county based genealogical centres. Have you by any chance been in touch with the Limerick Genealogy centre yet? 

Hopefully they'll be able to tell you more about John and Anne, as well as their parents. I also hope some of our experts members will be able to uncover more about your ancestors. :) 

If there's anything else you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to post your questions here.

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 8:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Carla

RootsIreland, at www.rootsireland.ie, records birth details of 22 John Fitzgeralds between 1771 and 1781, including four in County Limerick.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Feb 2019 5:39 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank You, Melin and Brian! I was able to get in touch with the Archivist for the Church of England. She gave me all the Fitzgerald and Hughes  Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. The burial for John didn't have his name on the record. However between Sharon Slater and
Her Limerickslife.com site. I had asked if she could take a photo of the gravestone. She told me how to get to her graveyards that she had already done. She had done his  and  I was able to transcribe it by blowing the picture up. 

These are the record that I have been able to access.
Church of England records for Rathkeale and Limerick-Through the Archivist and a transcription by FamilySearch.org
The Directory through Limerick City Library/Local Studies
I also got in touch with the current Knight of Fitzgerald who put me in touch with Tom Donovan in Limerick City. who happened to be looking at a newspaper from 1804 that had an article about John Fitzgerald. He was kind enough to copy and send it to me.
I also had a guy from England who had an court record involving his great grandfather and John Fitzgerald. He was kind enough to copy it and send it to me.
I also have a copy of the Trinty Dublinese for Trinity College that has John Fitzgerald's in it. However there are two that fit the time frame that he would have been there. I think he is the John Fitzgerald that is the son  of Rev. Gerald Fitzgerald who was Vice Provost at Trinity. However someone else says that Geralds son John was a Rev.  However the Trinity Dublinese page that I have as far as I can tell is all  about Attorney's. I don't know how to go about proving that there is a possibility that Gerald had two sons by the name of John or the other John.
Thank you for any suggestions and help. I live in Northern California, USA
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 4 Feb 2019 3:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Carla, 

Thanks so much for sharing all of this information. It sounds like you've already done a lot of research, and have found a lot of leads. 

For birth records for John Fitzgerald in Limerick I suggest to get in touch with the genealogy centre there. Have you already tried to contact them? They might be able to uncover more information. 

The website that Brian mentioned is also super helpful in finding out more. Check out Roots Ireland for more information.

Warm regards,

Melin