Ireland

Ireland

Author
Posted Thu 7 Feb 2019 11:58 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I want to visit Ireland.  I want to visit the place my ancestor supposedly came from.  Does this information look like an actual place in Ireland?

Drumarin Parish, Dromore, County Tyrone, Ireland

Thank You
Brian
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 8 Feb 2019 10:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Brian,

There is a place called Dromore in County Tyrone.

It is a small village, townland and civil parish in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is situated nine miles south west of Omagh on the A32 and sixteen miles from Enniskillen.

Many of the old areas within a parish would have been known locally but not necessarily as an official place within a larger parish.

Have you a document that has the name of Drumarin on it? 

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 8 Feb 2019 10:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Martin

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have no official documentation that I know of on Durmarin.  I will have my Father check with my aunt Peggy In Portland Oregon.  That is where my grandfather lived before he passed away.  

I would like to see where the source my roots come from,  Francis McShane was born 2nd of December 1717  In Drumarin parish, Dromore township, County Tyrone, Ireland.  I( have thought of it more as a tradition but others are animate of these as a fact.  It is rummored that he was part of a group called the "Conventioneers", and they would have traveled to the Americas in a large group.  The final destination here was in Hunterdon county New Jersey.  Do you know about or have any information on the Conventioneers?

I have living relatives in county Louth that I would like to stay with but nothing is set.  I wanted to make sure this Dromore township was a real before I set any plans.  I would like to have my father come as well.

I appreciate that and any other information you might know or come across.

Brian McShane

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Brian

There are 43 parishes in County Tyrone. You can identify the civil parish of Dromore, and its associated townlands, at https://www.johngrenham.com/places/civil_index.php by selecting Tyrone on the map. To gain insight into the economic and social landscape of 19th century Ireland you can consult A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, published in 1837, by Samuel Lewis. Arranged in alphabetical order by place this dictionary provides an overview of the geography and history of Ireland’s villages, parishes and towns, as they existed at the time of publication (1837). The entry for Dromore can be viewed at: https://www.libraryireland.com/topog/D/Dromore-Omagh-Tyrone.php

Two townlands spelt on maps today as Drumaran are recorded in County Fermamagh in parishes of Cleenish and Derryvullan. The parish of Dromore in County Tyrone is bounded to the west by the parish of Derryvullan in County Fermanagh.

To examine historic maps and aerial photograph of Drumaran in Derryvullan parish, for example, search Public Record Office of Northern Ireland’s Historical Map viewer at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/search-proni-historical-maps-viewer. By entering ‘Drumaran (Derryvullan)’ in ‘Type Placename or Address’ box you will be able to view, by selecting 'Layer List' tab, first edition (1832-1846), second edition (1846-1862) and third edition (1900-1907) Ordnance Survey maps of Drumaran.

I must admit I haven’t heard of the term Conventioneers. I have heard of the term Convenanter, referring to Presbyterian settlers, with roots in Scotland, who migrated from northern Ireland to North America through the 18th century.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Feb 2019 9:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Martin!
Thank you for you response. I believe your spelling of this word is more correct, Convenanter. What do you know about them? 

I have  traced my relatives to County Hunterdon in New Jersey.  Francis McShane served as a Priest in the Presbyterian church there from 1790 Until his death in 1800.  I am not a Presbyterian, but my grandfather was.

Brian

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Feb 2019 9:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Brian, 

Covenanters started their migration to North America by way of Ireland, and the migration is usually dated from the year 1717. When preacher William Tennent, founder of Log College, the first Presbyterian seminary in North America, came with his family to the Philadelphia area in North America, covenanters became known as members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church.

For more information on locating Presbyterian records on the island of Ireland, take a look here.

Have you tried reaching out to the genealogy centre in County Tyrone yet? Before 1864 all records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all of the remaining records are in the care of county based genealogy centres.   

I hope this was helpful, and please feel free to get in touch if there's anything else you need. :)

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Feb 2019 11:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Melin,
        Thank you for the information.  You have given me great insights and things to do.

Brian
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 13 Feb 2019 10:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Brian, 

Keep us posted on your findings, we'd love to see what you're able to uncover! :) 

We're always here if there's anything else you need.

Warm regards,

Melin