Cork Day Trips

Cork Day Trips

Author
Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 3:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Greetings!
I've posted here before but decided to create a new thread since we now have our dates and locations set.
We arrive in Shannon on September 1st and will stay in Galway for 5 nights. This part of the trip is pretty much planned
out with a few road trips toward the north and north/west, a trip to Doolin Village/Cliffs of Moher and of course Galway. We will have a rental car.

After Galway we will travel to Cork (by rental car) and stay there for 5 nights. From what I understand, Cork is quite small and we can probably see the sights there in a two days. 
I'm looking for self guided trips from there. Is the trip below 'doable' in one day? 
Sneem to Waterville to Killorglin to Dingle Bay to Killarney Park/Torc waterfall back to Cork. Should we break this up? Should we catch one of these areas on the way to Cork? 

Any suggestions are welcomed.

We will then travel to Dublin for 4 nights.
Penny

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 4:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Penny, 

I'm so happy to see that your locations and dates are all set! :) 

Your plans for Galway look great, and we're always here if you need some extra suggestions for this area

Cork City is a lovely place to explore, and you can see a lot in those two days. What do you have planned for your time here so far? A trip to the English Market is definitely recommended. :) There are also loads of self-guided tours and trips available in County Cork!

Your itinerary from Sneem to Cork definitely looks doable. It will take you about 4 hours without stopping, so you'll have time in between to stop at your chosen destinations. Keep in mind that from the entrance of Killarney National Park it is about a 45 minute walk to Torc Waterfall, and the same amount of time to get back.

Have you thought about taking a day to explore the Ring of Kerry, and to continue your journey to Cork the next day with a stop at Killarney National Park? 

I hope this was helpful, and that you'll receive more tips and suggestions from our other members! 

Wishing you a great weekend, 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 11:26 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank  you for your reply. 
We've already booked our house rentals in Cork so I really don't want to spend a single night between Galway and Cork. I'm just quirky about checking in, unpacking, packing up and leaving the next day.  Would it be wise to go back to Killarney on another day?  
What about one day leaving Cork and going farther south and make our way to Waterville and return to Cork. And another day from Cork to the Dingle Peninsula and Killarney Park?

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Mar 2019 3:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Penny, 

Since you have already planned to stay in Cork that night I completely understand you want to get there right on schedule. :)

The itinerary you had in mind is possible in a day, and if you leave early you'll have a full day of exploring. Alternatively, if you do run out of time, you can always return to the Dingle Peninsula and Killarney National Park for a day trip from Cork. 

The drive from Cork to Waterville is about 2,5 hours, so definitely doable. It'll take just over 2 hours to drive from Cork to Dingle, and from there you'll have loads of time to explore the Dingle Peninsula and Killarney National Park.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to give me a shout! 

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 3 Mar 2019 3:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Cork is a great area. Blarney Castle isn't far, and neither is Kinsale - delicious food in this adorable town! I would also echo what others have said and try to visit Killarney/Dingle as well. I also loved the Ring of Kerry and Skellig Islands.

More on my trip in/around Cork: https://rileysroves.com/2019/02/03/dublin-to-cork/
All of my blog posts from Ireland: https://rileysroves.com/category/Ireland/