Places to base/stay on a trip from Cork to Dublin (4 days)

Places to base/stay on a trip from Cork to Dublin (4 days)

Author
Posted Sun 3 Mar 2019 11:51 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We are travelling from NZ to Ireland for a wedding in July and are planning a road trip after the wedding, from Cork to Dublin. I would like some advice on town/villages to stay in on our trip.
We have 4 days - 23-July to the 27-July (on the 27-July we have to get to Dublin for the in-laws to catch a flight to Rome). 
We are interested in beautiful landscapes, coastal fishing villages, trad music, pubs, good food, celtic history. 
Can anyone recommend villages/areas to stay in on a 4 night trip from Cork to Galway, planning on taking the highway from Galway to Dublin on the 27-July to save some time.

Would we be better to stay in a new place each night, or base ourselves from one location?

Thanks very much!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 4 Mar 2019 3:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Emma, 

It's great to hear that you are planning on visiting us for a wedding, and I'm happy you're staying a little bit longer to explore the island. :)

July is a wonderful time of year to visit, and there are lots of different places between Galway and Cork that would be suitable to use as a base. What did you have in mind so far, and is there anything you absolutely wouldn't want to miss while you're here? 

Depending on what you would like to see and do you can then decide what would be the best location(s). Take a look at these Trip Ideas for more inspiration, and if you'd like to venture off the beaten track on your way from Galway to Dublin, this itinerary could come in handy. 

Since you are interested in Celtic history, have you thought about travelling along the east coast? Ireland's Ancient East is filled with history, and you can find everything from beautiful coastlines, landscapes, music and more there. 

Riley recently shared her own adventures and itinerary on the following thread, and you might find more tips, ideas and suggestions for your time between Galway and Cork there too. :)

I hope this was helpful, and that you'll receive more tips from our other members. If there is anything else you would like to know, just give me a shout! 

Warm regards,

Melin