I'm visiting Kilkenny, and I've heard it's the place to be for trad music – what pubs can I visit?

I'm visiting Kilkenny, and I've heard it's the place to be for trad...

Author
Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 9:25 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
You heard correctly! From pubs to street performers, music is your constant soundtrack from the moment you step into the city. With performers singing on every corner, it comes as no surprise that it’s a hotspot for some lively trad sessions!

So where can you find some of the best sessions in the city? If you want to go where the locals go, pop into Cleere’s Bar & Theatre, considered to be the longest running traditional music session in Kilkenny. Whether, it’s music, poetry or simply stories from the locals, this is an event that cannot be missed. Not content with having only one feather in their cap, Cleere’s is also somewhat of a cultural hub in Kilkenny. Their 100-seat theatre regularly hosts comedians and local plays.

Next try Kyteler’s Inn, where during high season there’s a trad session on every night in this medieval pub. Before you know it, your toes will be tapping, and you’ll be clapping along to the upbeat melodies being performed. If you’re feeling peckish, stick around and try some of the delicious food that’s on offer. They’ve been serving food since 1263, so they definitely know what they’re doing! We love the Irish oak-smoked salmon, topped off with a luxurious sherry trifle.

But Kilkenny is more than just its trad music. You’ll soon discover how Kilkenny city itself is full of medieval marvels for you to admire. Visit the 12th century Kilkenny castle, where you can take a tour of the beautifully restored rooms. Wander through the castle grounds and gardens and soak in the sunshine as you walk through the rose garden, or take a stroll by the river Nore.

If you’re looking to get your heart racing, why not try your hand at hurling? This ancient game has long ties to this county, and every local is proud to display their colours (black and amber) for everyone to see. Try the Ultimate Hurling Experience tour where you can learn the origins of this ancient Celtic sport, and find out if you have what it takes to become a ‘Kilkenny Cat!'

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 19 Sep 2023 6:08 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
It only makes me more excited to learn irish music.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Oct 2023 9:43 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 5 Feb 2024 12:03 PM Visits: 15
Hi friends, in case you want to know more about the most popular irish songs of all time, you have them all here: BEST IRISH SONGS OF ALL TIME
Sláinte!
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 19 Feb 2024 10:37 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
Thank you for sharing.