The Curran Family Lower Grange Gorsebridge Killkenny

The Curran Family Lower Grange Gorsebridge Killkenny

Author
Posted Thu 21 Mar 2019 12:15 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am currently trying to get information on my mothers family.
They lived in Lower Grange Gorsebridge Kilkenny, the parents were Patrick Curran and Mary Curran nee Tobin.
They had 15/16 children.
I know one of the sons was called Patrick and he had a son Matthew who had a son called Sean all were horse trainers for Pat Mullins. I know Matthew won two Grand Nationals.
Some of the family emigrates to America but i am currently trying to trace who left and who stayed.
Any information would be amazing.
The reason I have started looking is after many decades there is someone in USA that believes he is my mothers sister, my mother believes she was an only child but was raised in a convent in Dublin so it may be possible yet unlikely that this person is her brother ..
Any information would be amazing thanks 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Mar 2019 9:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Katie,

I would be more than happy to see what I can do to help! :)

Do you happen to know around what time they were living on the island, or do you have birth dates for Patrick, Mary and their children? 

Before 1864 all records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all the surviving records have been sorted into county based genealogical centres. Once civil registration was introduced in Ireland in 1864, we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland (GRO), to this day. 

Once you know when they lived here, you can check the right archives.

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Mar 2019 3:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Katie

RootsIreland, at http://www.rootsireland.ie , records the births of 14 children between 1883 and 1906 in County Kilkenny to parents Patrick Curran and Mary Tobin: Bridget, Margaret, Thomas, Mary, Ellen, Michael, John, Julia, Catherine, Patrick, Agnes, Matthew, Joseph and Rose.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 May 2019 10:37 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you so much for the replys.
Yes they are the same family Brian, I am trying to find out who Patrick Curran and Mary Tobins  parents are.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 May 2019 10:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Melin the information is really helpful 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 11 May 2019 9:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Katie

All you need to do is continue your research at IrishGenealogy.ie and RootsIreland.ie websites.

Civil marriage registers which can be viewed at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie confirm that Patrick Curran married Mary Tobin in Paulstown RC, County Kilkenny in 1882. It records that Patrick, age 21, was son of Thomas Curran and that Mary Tobin, age 21, was daughter of Michael Curran. 

Hence you are looking for births of Patrick Curran c. 1861 o a father Thomas Curran and of Mary Tobin c.1861 to a father Michael Tobin.

Prior to 1864 and introduction of civil registration of births you will have to rely on church baptismal registers to identify birth details of children and names of their parents. RootsIreland.ie holds the largest collection of church register transcripts, and with its powerful index you can conduct searches by entering name of children together with name of father. You can also further narrow your research by county, parish and range of years.

Hence a search of this website, http://www.rootsireland.ie, reveals that RootsIreland holds baptismal record of a Patrick Curran to a father Thomas Curran in County Kilkenny in 1861 and of a Mary Tobin to a father Michael Curran also in County Kilkenny in 1861. These would appear to be the nearest matches to the ancestors you seek.