I’m excited for the next series of Game of Thrones®, but where can I go to see where they filmed?

I’m excited for the next series of Game of Thrones®, but where can I...

Author
Posted Thu 28 Mar 2019 9:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We’re excited too! We can’t wait to catch up on the adventures of Jon Snow, the Mother of Dragons, and the scary White Walkers. Luckily, while we wait for the final series to arrive we’re able to visit some of the filming locations in Northern Ireland! Home to many of the most famous locations in the series, you can be transported to Westeros in an instant.

If you want to go back to where it all began, visit Tollymore Forest Park in County Down. In this 600 hectare woods, you’ll find the magnificent redwoods where the opening scenes were shot. Known in the series as the Haunted Forest of Westeros, this is where we’re introduced to the White Walkers for the first time, and where the Starks find their direwolves!

Speaking of our long-suffering Northmen, journey to Castle Ward in County Down. In Westeros it is known by a different name: Winterfell. In the series this is the ancestral family home of the Starks and this is where we meet the rest of the Stark clan, as well as the Lannister family and King Robert. While you’re here, why not try the Castle Ward experience, where you can try your hand at archery, experience a medieval banquet and even meet the dogs who played the direwolves in the show!

Westeros isn’t the only place you can visit in Northern Ireland, what about Pyke, or even Dorne? Head to Ballintoy Harbour in County Antrim which doubles as the Iron Islands, home of the hardy ironborn men, and where Theon Greyjoy arrives to find his family again. Close by is Portstewart Strand where Jaime Lannister and Bronn are captured by Dornish soldiers in their mission to rescue Myrcella.

These are just a few of the filming locations available – to discover more, download the app which will take you on an adventure. Discover forbidding forests, centuries old castles and maybe even a dragon or three!

Can our Community think of any other Game of Thrones® locations on the island of Ireland?