Best option to rent a car with debit card

Best option to rent a car with debit card

Author
Posted Wed 17 Apr 2019 7:46 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi

Can someone point me in the right direction to rent a car in Dublin (airport) for 3 days?

I don't have any credit card, only a Visa Electron debit card. Is there any company that will accept this payment method?

What's the insurance that covers the most? Is there any additional insurance I can get so they don't need to "hold" anything on the card (or a minimal amount, like the value of the rental plus 100€ or 200€ max).

I'm planning to get the car at the Dublin airport and travel to Belfast. Is it ok to travel to Northern Ireland?

Although I'll be the one driving, my wife might need to drive in case of an emergency. Should I add her as an extra driver just in case? Will this  increase the price?

Is there any location in Dublin's center where I can return the car? Will it cost me more?

Cheers

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Apr 2019 8:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello José, 

It's so exciting you're planning on visiting us soon! I'd love to point you in the right direction. 

You can find lots of helpful information about renting a car in the I'm thinking of renting a car in Ireland - what do I need to know? thread. Have you planned out your itinerary yet for those 3 days? 

There are some car rental companies that do not require a credit card, but in that case there are additional requirements for the insurance. Take a look at the Car Hire without a Credit Card thread from Carlien for these companies and more helpful resources and information.

If you reach out tot the rental company of your choice they will gladly tell you more about the possibilities, travelling between the Republic or Ireland and Northern Ireland, the costs, drop off locations and registering a second driver. 

Keep me posted on your plans, and I hope some of our other members can provide you with more tips and suggestions! :)

Warm regards,

Melin