I love horses and I’ve heard County Kildare is the place to be. Is that true?

I love horses and I’ve heard County Kildare is the place to be. Is...

Author
Posted Thu 2 May 2019 8:03 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Yes, that’s right! Locally known as the ‘Thoroughbred County’ for its award-winning race courses, County Kildare is the place to be if you want to see some of the world’s best horses in action. No visit to the island of Ireland would be complete without seeing some of our most beautiful creatures.

It is in County Kildare where you’ll find many of Ireland’s stud farms, stables and racecourses. You’ll be spoiled for choice if you want to see a horse race, as you can go to not one, but three race courses in County Kildare. If you’re looking for a fun day out, take your pick from The Curragh, Naas, or Punchestown. Many people often dress in their best clothes when attending the races, so you’ll need to have your best hat at the ready!

If you want to get up close and personal with these beautiful creatures, then make your way to the Irish National Stud & Gardens. This farm has operated for over 100 years, producing countless thoroughbred champions. If you visit at springtime, you’ll be able to coo at the newborn foals and watch as they take their first shaky steps. While you’re there, you can visit the Horse Museum and learn all about the past glories of horse-racing and legendary champions.  Afterwards, head to the Japanese Gardens where you can wander through a tranquil oasis.

But County Kildare has much more than horses. Situated in Ireland’s Ancient East, the landscape of Kildare has plenty of stories to tell. Opulent manor houses abound here. If you visit Castletown House in Celbridge, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time. Built in 1720, this Palladian House has borne witness to political strife, birth, death and more. It once housed the richest man in Irish society at the time, William Connolly.

Nearby is Carton House in Maynooth. Now a golf and spa resort, this impressive mansion house used to be the home of the Fitzgerald family, the Earls of Kildare. Now, you can while away an afternoon strolling through the grounds, admire the art pieces, and watch the impressive swings of the amateur golfers who play there.

For more recent history, make your way down the road from Maynooth to the Museum of Style Icons in Newbridge. Here you’ll find elaborate exhibits containing the artefacts and clothes of Marilyn Monroe, perhaps one of the most stylish women of her decade, as well as Audrey Hepburn and Princess Grace.

Can our Community members recommend any other places to visit in County Kildare?