Autism Friendly Campsites Near Dublin

Autism Friendly Campsites Near Dublin

Author
Posted Sun 5 May 2019 9:41 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi. I'm planning a camping trip to Ireland with my 7 and 8 year olds in August. It'll be our first trip, so I am looking for places to stay.
My 8 year old son has "low functioning Autism", so ideally, a campsite which isn't mad busy and has a disabled toilet / shower would be great. I have shared more of our previous camping experiences here if anyone wants more background on how previous trips with my son have gone...? 

Our ferry docks in Dublin, so ideally I want somewhere within 60 minutes of there as we'll have done a 2 hour drive before the ferry too. 

All tips / advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 May 2019 2:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Tina,

How lovely that your first experience camping with Sam went so well and I hope I can help you make your next one just as enjoyable!

There are a few options not too far from Dublin, and I've opted to select a few that I would find suitable. I have ASD myself and the places I'm recommending here come from that background, as I feel they would have the amenities, feel and atmosphere that Sam might enjoy. I'm sure our industry experts will have some recommendations as well from their own experiences.

There are other options than these caravan sites of course and I would recommend having a look in our accommodation search engine, where the map view will help you see the location of the sites in relation to Dublin ferry port.

Roundwood Caravan Park: a coastal caravan park, quiet and with great facilities. It's on the edge of the Wicklow Mountains and has excellent lighting at night, as well as cctv for your peace of mind.

North Beach Caravan Park: another coastal caravan park, this one with a very safe and enclosed beach that is directly accessible from the site. If Sam is alright with the sensory input from sand and seawater, this would be a lovely place for him to sit and play with sand.

Wolohan's Silver Strand: a mixed campsite, with an all grass site for tents, rural and quiet, with parking next to each pitch and dogs are specifically welcome (provided they're on a lead).

If you have any specific types of site or amenities in mind that would help make your trip with Sam easier and even more enjoyable, we'd love to hear to help you find the perfect place!

Warm regards,
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 May 2019 11:36 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Tina,
I have read your blog on your camping trip with your son and glad to see that despite everything you all had a good time.  With regard to camping in Ireland, Camping Ireland have over 100 registered/approved sites throughout Ireland.  Some sites are very busy family sites which may not be ideal for you.  However, there are also a lot of small sites that wouldn't be very busy. My suggestions for you within an hour or so of Dublin are as follows:-

Moat Farm, Wicklow - 40 pitches short stroll to village
Loughcrew Megalithic Centre, Meath - 34 pitches with lots of open space, onsite café
Tree Grove, Kilkenny (about 90 minutes from Dublin ) 34 pitches again with lots of open spaces
Streamstown, Tipperary (2 hours from Dublin) - 30 pitches family run site on a dairy farm
Curraghchase, Limerick (2 hours from Dublin) - 50 pitches located in forest with café on site

These are just a few suggestions but take a look at our website www.campingireland.ie and you will be able to read about these sites and others.  Some of the sites that have been mentioned in other threads whilst are brilliant sites for families and are in great locations beside the sea, are big and could be very busy.

Hope this information is of help.  Let me know if I can help with you any further information

Regards

Aideen - Camping Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 May 2019 11:52 AM
View Quick Profile
This is a great help - thank you! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jul 2019 9:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Tina,

I just wanted to check in with you and see if you need last-minute help before your trip.

I wish you and your family a great time and remember, we are only a click away if you need us or if you want to share a bit of your holiday with us! 😉
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 Sep 2019 3:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Tina, 

We'd love to hear more about your first camping trip last month! Were you able to find the right camp site near Dublin for you and your sons? :)