Holyhead To Dublin Ferry Queue Times

Holyhead To Dublin Ferry Queue Times

Author
Posted Sun 5 May 2019 9:54 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi. I am planning our first family trip to Ireland and am just wondering how long you tend to queue with your car to board / exit the ferry?
The reason I ask is my son is Autistic so I need to be armed with as much information as possible ahead of time, to help him cope with the journey. Also... does there tend to be WIFI on the ferry or am I best off assuming not? (Can you tell I"m stressed yet). 
I'm planning on writing a blog post on tips for travelling by ferry to Ireland, and will include any tips (and links) you share :) 
Thanks in advance. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 May 2019 2:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Tina,

Generally speaking boarding starts about an hour beforehand and queuing time should not be much more than 40 minutes in the port. You would need to keep in mind that the route to Holyhead can be a bit busy during the daytime. This is a bit generalised, it is very much dependent on how busy it is on the day, especially during the holidays.

I would advise you to contact the ferry operator directly as well, as they may be able to facilitate quick boarding with Sam and help make your trip go as smooth as possible. Keep in mind that if you do make use of the ferry company's assistance options they may want you to arrive earlier, which might make the wait time a bit longer. It's very much worth your while to give them a call to see what they can offer!

There is indeed wifi on board of most ferries nowadays. Stena Line has onboard wifi for free, and Irish Ferries does too. You'll have to keep in mind this free wifi is only in specified locations onboard. If you want to be sure you have certain games, series or films with you to keep the children occupied I would advise to download them beforehand if you can, as "maritime wifi" can be a bit spotty at times.

What time of the day are you looking at travelling?

Warm regards,
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 May 2019 3:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 8 hours ago Visits: 22K
Good afternoon Tina,
I have been in touch with the 2 Ferry Companies (Stena Line & Irish Ferries) via Twitter and have received the following feedback - 
Irish Ferries - "Boarding would generally begin 1 hour prior to departure time and there is Wifi available on-board. We can request priority boarding and would need the customer to contact us directly with their booking reference number to note this on the booking."
Stena Line - "We are more than happy to help. If the customer would like to send us a Direct Message we would be happy to answer all the questions."

Are you on Twitter and able to get in touch with them via a Direct Message? The Twitter handles are: @StenaLineUKIE & @Irish_Ferries

I hope the above helps and please get in touch if you need any help contacting the  two Ferry companies.