Ireland Late November/ Early December

Ireland Late November/ Early December

Author
Posted Thu 9 May 2019 1:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello!

We are travelling for the first time to Ireland in late November/ early December. We are flying into Dublin and then we are headed to Northern Ireland-- Dublin to Sligo/ Sligo to Derry/ Derry to Bushmills Inn then back to Dublin possibly with an over night to Belfast. It will be a group of 4 adults and 1 12 year old for that leg of the trip.
Then, once back to Dublin, it will be my self, my husband and our daughter. What cities to you recommend for us to visit and find lodging in November 30th thru December 5th, as we are needing to  be back in Dublin on December 6th for our flight back to the US. We will be using public transportation and want to make the most of our stay and see the popular sites such as The Cliffs of Moher. Any route suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  We do have an Inn booked in Galway, but we can always change that and then we located a lovely Airbnb in Muckross, but have yet to decide to make reservations. 

Thank you!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 May 2019 9:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Patty,

It's lovely to hear that you will be over for a visit towards the end of the year and taking in some of the wonderful sights the north of the island has to offer with your group!

We have a wonderful approved accommodation search page which you may find handy for finding some of your accommodation needs as you travel. Enter a location and accommodation type from the drop-down menu for information on what is available in the area. It would definitely be a good idea to stay overnight either in Derry~Londonderry or Belfast during this time as the roads are mainly rural and distances are not an indication of the time it would take to drive from Dublin around and back again especially as there is so much to see on the route and the days are getting towards their shortest.

From Galway, it will be possible to visit the Cliffs of Moher by public transport, Bus Éireann has a 350 service that runs from the city towards Ennis stopping at the cliffs. There is a wonderful journey planner from Transport for Ireland that will be useful to work out your transport needs to make some of the other locations. 

Killarney is another popular place to visit, the national park is a great spot and Muckross is another place that would be lovely to stay and explore all the local area.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list with a few ideas! 

Speak soon, 

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 11 May 2019 8:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 10
Waterville, Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:06 AM Visits: 36
What a nice trip you have planned!

A couple of suggestions - make sure the Hop on-Hop off but in Killarney is running in the winter, as the Muckross Road is a long walk from the main part of Killarney.  Many tourist type buses don't run in the winter!

It seems to me that you're trying to put alot in to a few days when you add the time it takes to do public transport! It's not the quickest way to get around (says the woman who broke an arm and had to rely on it for 18 months....).  If you do the Cliffs of Moher, do it from Galway. I met a young couple who did the Cliffs tour from their B&B in Dublin -- and then were in Galway the next week..... Just because a bus tour is offered, doesn't mean that is the best place to take it!  

Why not do just Ga;way and take some day trips out of the city (it is a city - the central area is more "tourist/visitor" friendly - the outskirts is somewhat industrial.  There are lovely areas near Galway, especially along the Wild Atlantic Way!

Or just Killarney/Kerry area - and explore Iveragh peninsula (Ring of Kerry) and Dingle peninsula and Tralee, too.....

Just suggestions!

Susan
ExPat in Waterville, County Kerry

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 May 2019 11:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Patty,

Delighted to hear that you will be visiting with family later in the year.  You mention staying in Bushmills, I'm not sure of your timescale for staying in Bushmills but might I encourage you to explore some of the delights of the Causeway Coast and Glens region?!  Famed for its stunning scenery - beautiful glens, stunning beaches, rugged cliffs and of course, the Giant's Causeway.  

Some of the other must see attractions include the Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and Dunluce Castle.  You can find out more about what to see and do in the Causeway Coast and Glens by downloading our Visitor Guide, available from our website - https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Causeway-Coast-and-Glens-Visitor-Guide-2019.pdf

Driving back towards Belfast, I would suggest you follow the stunning Causeway Coastal Route.  Voted as one of the best drives in the world, you will pass through a number of beautiful villages and the historical town of Carrickfergus.  With the sea by your side the whole way, it's a stunning way to travel to Belfast.

I hope you enjoy your trip.  Do call into one of our Visitor Information Centres if you need anything and we will be more than happy to help.

Best Wishes 
Alison