Mother / Daughter trip

Mother / Daughter trip

Author
Posted Tue 14 May 2019 4:09 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello all!  I am over the moon excited for a trip with my Mum however, time is of the essence in planning as we have just committed to a trip arriving the latter part of September.  I am a capable traveler however, this time I am having some difficulty in planning as my Mum is 80 and has some mobility issues.  I have found rental companies for motorized scooters and/or wheelchair, which I'm hoping will help us cover some coastal pathways..She can walk but not for long distances.. again I am willing and capable to take her just about anywhere - however we have only roughly 2 weeks and maybe less as we may stop over in Holland.

My request is for assistance in being able to show her as much as possible in this time frame.  We will be renting a car.  I have been pouring through Ireland.com and honestly I am a little bit overwhelmed!  I did read one topic about coastal versus inland and zigzagging.. so I am wondering if doing the coastal first is the best?  I would appreciate any assistance in seeing off the beaten path as we have found that often times these are the best of times ;)

Thank you so much in advance!!

Annette
Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 May 2019 9:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Annette,

It's wonderful to hear that you and your mom are planning on coming to see us, it just goes to show, you are never too old to travel!

There is indeed so much to see and do that sometimes it is difficult knowing what to include and what to leave out of any trip to the island of Ireland, even in a 2-week long trip.

The coastline is a favorite of many and the Wild Atlantic Way would be a super choice to spend some of your time exploring. Where will you be landing to start your time with us?

As you mentioned, there is a lot of useful information on our Ireland.com website and our trip idea articles Hidden Ireland, Off the Beaten Track and 12 Days by Caravan are all inspirational. A combination of coastal and inland destinations would be a lovely way to meander across or around the many locations. Most places are accessible with a wheelchair, although some of the more historical castles and monuments were never built for such a device!

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and hopefully, your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to help out too!

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 May 2019 1:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hello Annette
I am delighted to hear that you are planning a trip to Ireland with your mother, what a fantastic memory-making adventure for you both :)

Come to Doolin!

If you are thinking of the Wild Atlantic Way, consider Doolin as a base.  There is a lovely boutique hotel here (Hotel Doolin) and many lovely B&Bs which have wheelchair accessible, ground floor bedrooms (for example, O'Connors B&B)

Cliffs of Moher
One of Ireland's most famous landmarks is probably on your "To Do" list, so here is some advice for viewing the cliffs with a wheelchair:
There are quite a number of steps at a steady incline if you want to access the more exposed viewing points at the top of the cliffs, but there are also plenty of fabulous viewing points at a slightly lower level.  The Visitors Centre itself has ample facilities for dining, shopping and resting if you prefer to remain in the building. Most of the site is mobility friendly with access for wheelchairs/those with limited mobility. There are also wheelchairs on sites.  

Better by cruise :hehe:
We provide a cruise below the cliffs, which departs from Doolin, so this might be a better option for you? Our newest ship, the Star of Doolin is completely wheelchair accessible, there is a short gangway to board, and a lift to access the lower deck, or if the weather is fine, you can also stay on the top deck.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/14-05-2019/32d0ded4-afa8-496e-81a0-41c8.png

I hope this is useful information for you Annette, have a great time in Ireland!
All the best from Joan and the team at Garrihys Doolin2Aran Ferries
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 May 2019 7:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Martin!! I will have a look at the links you sent.  We will definitely take you up on the Ferry tours.  We will be landing in Dublin.  My next question then is - I will be armed with an "old school paper map".. so on the first day is there a tourism office that I can visit that will help me out with secondary roads to take instead of say the M6..?

I will be firing off a lot of questions as we plan so thanks for your patience everyone!!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 May 2019 7:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Morning Annette
To be honest with you, I would advise taking the M6 out of Dublin to get you to the west faster.  There are PLENTY of secondary roads over here to slow you down and make you take your time and admire the scenery!

There is a fantastic tourist office in Hotel Doolin with friendly staff (Clare, John & MacDara).  They have great information and tips so be sure to call in - tell them Joan sent you and said they are to mind you well ;)

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-05-2019/7285261a-bd1b-47f8-b18c-83c8.jpg

All the best
Joan
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 May 2019 2:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Annette, 

A large paper road map is a great help when you explore the island! :)

Joan from Doolin2Arran Ferries has already provided you with some super helpful tips and information, and when you're in Dublin, feel free to visit the tourist office at Dublin Airport (Terminal 1), or any of the other offices on the island. They would love to tell you more about the best routes, as well as recommended places to stop along the way. :)

How are you getting on with planning your itinerary? You're more than welcome to post your plans here so our members can take a look and provide you with more tips, ideas and suggestions. 

We are always here if there is anything you need, so please don't hesitate to reach out at any time. :) 

Warm regards, 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 May 2019 3:38 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you!! We are at the baby stage of planning - I have a lot of work to do in a short time! I know from previous visits to Holland/Germany it's better to be prepared - then you can always change a plan with an open heart!! 

I have advised my Mum to please pick a few things that has made her want to come to Ireland ( I have my own ideas !)
Once I have them I can post them and will request the help in the travel.. I love a paper map!! 

My heart is warmed with all of the help !  Thank you!!

Annette
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 May 2019 3:45 AM
View Quick Profile
I forgot - which accessibility chair would you recommend that would be able to handle all trails.. one that I push, or the motorized chair or scooter? I can only utilize one - so I want to be sure to use the one with the most options for us.  
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 May 2019 10:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hello Annette, 

Collecting places you wouldn't want to miss, and from there on planning your itinerary is a great way to plan your route! Once you have gathered all of your locations, feel free to post everything here so we can help with your plans. :)

The accessibility chair of your choice would also depend on what you would like to see and do while you are here. I have collected a few other helpful threads for you below from other visitors who planned their accessible trips to Ireland for more information and ideas: 

- Mobility question
- Using an electric scooter
- Accessible Ireland, wheelchairs welcome! 
Aran Islands (getting around once there) with a disability
- Disabled visiting Ireland (wheelchair accessible accommodation and attractions)

Hopefully some of our other members can provide you with their experiences and tips as well. I'm always here to help if you have any questions. :) 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 8 Sep 2019 6:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Annette, 

How are the plans for your mother-daughter trip coming along? :) We'd love to hear more about what you have planned so far, and we're always here if you have any additional questions!