Cloncely Co Donegal.....where is this please?

Cloncely Co Donegal.....where is this please?

Author
Posted Thu 23 May 2019 1:28 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
In 1859 my ancestor Rose Boyle sailed on the Sapphire to Sydney Australia. She was 21, daughter of Patrick and Susan Boyle. Mother deceased. Roses native place is listed on shipping records as Cloncely, Co Donegal.
Her father Patrick is listed as living at Cloncely too. I can find no such place or parish. It is recognised in Ancestry.com. We are coming to Ireland for July and want to find some of the towns of our ancestors.
Attached images show Rose on ships manifest....and Cloncely for her and father
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-05-2019/44614fa2-6db7-4b61-a82e-9a3.jpeghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-05-2019/550ce94b-34a2-4741-9fa2-8ca.jpeghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-05-2019/bf1af78b-8c15-4c14-8e61-c8d.jpeg
Thanks Lorraine
Wafer
Australia
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 23 May 2019 1:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Lorraine and thanks for reaching out. 
After much debate between the team, we have agreed that what is actually written there is Cloneely, which you will be pleased to hear that it exist. We had a hunt and we believe we found the right person.

"Boyle Rose 21Farm ServantCloughaneely, Co DonegalPatrick Susan (decd) Cloneely, Co DonegalRCNeitherNone"
 You can see the relevant spreadsheet here

Now you have an actual town name and some records. Things should be a lot easier but if you need any further help. Please feel free to get back in touch

Have a great day.
Gordee

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 23 May 2019 3:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Lorraine

It would appear from work of Gordon and his team that Cloneely is an abbreviated form of Cloghaneely which is a district in west Donegal that is located within the civil parishes of Tullaghobegley and Raymunterdoney. I believe the Roman Catholic parishes in this district would be Gweedore in the western portion and Gortahork in eastern part. However, surviving baptismal registers for these parishes commence in 1868 and 1849 respectively
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 24 May 2019 8:02 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Gordon and Brian 

Thank you so much, Rose has a home and we will be able to go to the area no problems. So looking forward to our trip to Ireland. My husband and I have ancestors in 7 locations. It will be wonderful to walk in their footsteps. 
Regards
Lorraine 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 24 May 2019 8:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi again

I’ve been researching the Donegal Relief Fund and the history. There are many newspaper articles available here in our Australian papers for the Relief Fund and the Sapphire arriving in 1859. Money was sought from our government to help bring folk from Donegal and many were helped.

http://www.donegaltown.ie/Donegal-Town-History/Exiles-from-County-Donegal/

I feel great empathy for Rose and those who sailed to Australia to start a new life and escape the hardship of the time. The situation in Donegal went to the UK parliament and the minutes are available online.

Cheers
Lorraine
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 24 May 2019 10:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Lorraine, 

It is so great to see you were able to find out more about Rose! We can only imagine what it must have been like to travel to the other side of the world in search of a new life and opportunities. 

I am very happy you will be able to see Cloughaneely, and I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about your experiences! 

What are the other 7 locations where you and your husband have roots? Are you planning on visiting all of the places and areas while you are here? :)

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, or more discoveries to share with us, please don't hesitate to reach out! 

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 24 May 2019 11:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin

Thank you. Our Irish ancestors beyond Rose came from Dublin, Wexford, Cork. Tipperary, Limerick, Irvinestown and Antrim. We are visiting all these. We are in Ireland for all of July. I will post about a couple of other blocks we have.
Cheers
Lorraine
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 24 May 2019 2:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Lorraine, 

You've chosen a lovely time of year to visit! :D 

It's great to see that you and your husband have roots all over the island, and it's even better that you have the whole month of July to explore everything.

I can't wait to hear more about your adventures, so keep us posted! :) 

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 May 2019 4:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you I’m going to ask about another ancestor from Dublin if I may but will start a new post
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jul 2019 10:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Lorraine,

Half-way through your trip already! How is it going?
We wanted to check-in see if you were able to visit some of the sites already?

Let us know if you need any help while you are on the island.
Everyone here cannot wait to hear all about your trip.