Francis McCormack Dublin Canal Boat Captain

Francis McCormack Dublin Canal Boat Captain

Author
Posted Mon 27 May 2019 6:02 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi
After my wonderful help with my first post I’m trying now for another ancestor. We head to Ireland in July for a month for a combined holiday and family history trip. Coming finally from Australia. I have a great great great grandfather from Dublin..Francis McCormack. His son Denis came to Australia arriving on the ship Helen from Liverpool to Sydney, July 21 1841. I have his shipping records. He was brought out by Gilchrist and Alexander from Dublin to work in Sydney. They brought out tradesmen I understand. Denis was 26. Listed as a carpenter, many were needed to build the towns in the colony.

On his records his father is listed as Francis McCormack from Dublin a Captain on a Canal Boat in Dublin. His Mother was named as Mary.

I have been able to work out his possible baptism was 21 Aug 1817 at St James Dublin to Francis and Mary McCormack I believe her maiden name maybe Farrel. I think therefore their marriage record was 23rd June 1809 at St Catherine’s Dublin.

How to I confirm this information and learn more about Francis and Mary and Denis please?

Should I book at time at the National Archives in Dublin? McCormack looks to be a popular name in Dublin.

Regards
Lorraine Wafer nee Hogan
Trailing my many Irish ancestors

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 May 2019 12:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Lorraine,

It's great that you're getting further along in your research and that you'll be visiting the old family places soon!

Some time at the National Archives never goes to waste, especially if you come prepared with a list of copies that you would like to bring back with you and the people you want to research.

It's interesting that you have a canal boat captain in the family, it was quite the modern fast service of its time! Irish Waterways History has a lot of general information and I would certainly contact them to see if they have more information on canal boat captains, or to see if they can point you in the right direction to find those records.

Confirming that a certain person is your relative is generally a bit of a task, especially when you have only partial information. Several pieces have to come together to be absolutely certain. I would advise you to first confirm that he was indeed captain on a canal boat, and try to find out what information there is still available in the old records there. That may confirm his spouse and/or any dependants.

I hope this helps you a little bit further along!

Warm regards, Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 May 2019 3:00 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Cornelia

A great website and article. I’ve spent time searching this site further. I’ve now a good understanding of the canal passenger boats. That word passenger is on the hand written record. It’s very hard to read but now that makes sense.

I’ve contacted National Archives to see what is there and will go in Dublin. Understand I need to get a readers ticket. Have printed the form.

I’m wondering now if there is a maritime history centre in Dublin that may have records of the canal boats and staff. More searching to do.

Cheers
Lorraine
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 May 2019 8:41 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Lorraine,

It's great to hear that the information my colleague Cornelia gave has spurred you on with your quest!

There are some more websites that you could also look at and contact for additional assistance with finding out about canal life and passengers. There is The National Maritime Museum of Ireland,Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin which may be able to help and also the Waterways Ireland who hold lots of records, photographs and original documents from the past.

In addition, the Heritage Boat Association are involved in the preservation of boats and boat life from the bygone days, they may also have some historical records regarding the type of boats around during the time of your relative Francis.

I hope this adds to your list of research sites that may help with your search, and we will wait for any updates as to your progress into this fascinating family history.

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 May 2019 10:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Lorraine

I can't believe how lucky you are in  having an ancestor that sailed to Australia and prior to that lived for a time in Dublin!! Quite simply owing to the quality of records in both you have identified the family history of your ancestor, Denis McCormack. Records in Australia confirm that his parents were Francis McCormack, Captain on a canal boat, and Mary; while the free to view IrishGenealogy.ie website which has computerised the RC registers of Dublin City record baptism of Denis in 1817 and marriage of his parents in 1809. 

Further digging at RootsIreland.ie website would appear to add another layer to the story! A search of the indexes to this all-Ireland database of church and civil records appears to record the births of 2 siblings of Denis, as a search for baptisms of children to parents Francis McCormack and Mary Farrel returns births of Mary in 1811 and John in 1813 in County Longford.

I took a look at Cornelia's very interesting Irish Waterways History link which records details of a night boat passenger service by canal between Dublin and Longford!

It would appear that if you follow the waterway of the old Dublin Longford canal you will be sailing in the footsteps of your ancestor Francis McCormack.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 May 2019 4:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi everyone, 

Thank you Cornelia I've been absorbed by the website Irish Waterways History. I've learned so much, I'm looking forward to an excursion on the canal that we are booking.

Thank you Martin for the link to the National Maritime Museum, interestingly the President is Richard McCormack - lots of McCormacks in Dublin. I've emailed them to seek more information on their records and will visit the Museum.
Waterways of Ireland and Heritage Boat Association also had me absorbed I've spent a lot of time on these wonderful sites. Such a great maritime history. Interesting being in a country that is so young I become really absorbed in the history. History is one of my passions.

Thank you Brian your post had me feeling quite pleased. The Dublin records do checkout. The link to Orford had me searching, I found possible deaths for Mary 1871 and Francis 1847 in Orford. Timing is interesting Married Dublin 1809, 2 children baptised Orford 1811 and 1813 if right and baptism Denis 1817 in Dublin. I wonder if the wives and children travelled on the canal Boat. Interesting too the overnight service. 

I also have possible baptism for Mary 3 April 1789 in Dublin daughter of Thoma and Catharine. Maybe. Interesting Denis had one daughter only my great grandmother and she was Catherine. 

There are many records for emigration in 1840's for the names John (1813) and Mary (1811) McCormack mostly to USA.

I feel reassured I'm on the right track with Denis and Dublin. Visits to the two churches planned.

Thank you agian
lorraine
We will be in London 2 weeks today a tad excited. 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 May 2019 5:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian, 
When you wrote,
"Records in Australia confirm that his parents were Francis McCormack, Captain on a canal boat, and Mary" 
are you referring to my information in my first post or did you find records held in Australia. If you found records I'd love to know the sources please. 

My great grandmother many years ago told me her father had come from Dublin Ireland to Australia and he was a carpenter. As I started searching the first document I found in records was this poor image below of Dennis immigration record. It confirmed he was from Dublin, It had Father's name and company who sponsored him to come to Australia. Denis arrived on the ship Helen to Sydney 21 July 1841. The Helen sailed from Liverpool 14 April 1841. Age 26. I found the Helen records on our state records.

This then led me to find the possible baptism and marriage that you confirmed. I spent time finding out about the two churches involved and the Canal boats but information was limited re the boats until now. We are really looking forward to our 4 days in Dublin.

We are such a mixed lot with ancestors from Ireland, Uk, Scotland and Wales. my youngest was Mary Burrows a vagrant from cork age 16. But thats another story:).  Regards Lorraine

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/31-05-2019/633cb2c1-65e7-4609-9929-f150.jpg
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 May 2019 5:22 AM
View Quick Profile
My apologies all Please read Longford where I wrote Orford. Brian the records I refer to are Longford. Lorraine
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 May 2019 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Many thanks to Brian for jumping on with all his wonderful research information, our hero!

This is turning into a fascinating thread, we love all of the details and hope that you find many more interesting facts about your ancestor's life before emigrating.

Young Mary Burrows sounds like another wonderful twist!

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 31 May 2019 10:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Lorraine 

I assumed that your knowledge of the parents of Denis McCormack came from records at Australian end. But your knowledge shows how important it is to gather as much information as is possible, either from knowledge/stories held within the family or from record sources in the new home place, about an ancestor, such as names of their parents, place of birth/residence, occupation of father. It is such information that enables confirmation that you have found the 'correct' ancestor.

Living in the Northwest here I am very familiar with the problem of searching for an ancestor with a common name/surname with no knowledge of their parents and/or place of origin. For example, the database of Derry Genealogy at RootsIreland.ie holds birth details of 317 Patrick Dohertys, 359 William McLaughlins and 253 John Gallaghers! ! But if you know names of parents or parish/townland of birth you can quickly eliminate many of these names from your research.