Any castles, sites or museums closed in October

Any castles, sites or museums closed in October

Author
Posted Tue 28 May 2019 6:05 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am planning a trip with my son to Ireland beginning Oct 9 and now I'm worried that many of the castles that we'd planned on touring will be closed for the season? I have tried to look at websites for various sites but they don't seem to specifically say or don't offer tickets that far in advance. Any advice?
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 May 2019 9:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Scott,

October is a wonderful time to visit the island of Ireland!

While some locations will be closing for the season, could you please let us know where you have planned to visit so that we can find out exactly what is open so you can finalize your plans?

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 30 May 2019 1:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hi Scott

October is an excellent time to visit Ireland and the Walled City of Derry-Londonderry is certainly open for business!

This year we celebrate the 400th anniversary of the completion of the Walls and this is marked with a series is special events. More information on this can be found here.

The city will also host one of the largest Halloween Festivals in Europe. Crowned Best Halloween Destination in the World in a massive public poll by US media outlet USA Today in 2016, Derry toppled the likes of spooky Salem Massachusetts and even Dracula’s den in Transylvania, to steal the title. If you are in Ireland, during this period, Derry Halloween is a must. More information for this can be found here.

Derry-Londonderry provides the perfect base for exploring the island of Ireland as it is located on the gateway to Donegal/Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route. The Walled City of Derry-Londonderry is an excellent cultural location with a series of visitor attractions steeped in history. These include the likes of the 17th Century City Walls, Guildhall, World Famous Murals, St Columb’s Cathedral as well as many fascinating museums and exhibitions. The city also provides great options for tours, leisure, shopping and dining as well as excellent accommodation options should you choose to spend the night here.

More detailed information on what the city has to offer can be found in our official visitor guide here

We would also invite you to contact us should you have any inquiries or questions at all. We are more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

Barry 

Web: www.visitderry.com
Tel: +44 (0) 28 7126 7284
Email: info@visitderry.com 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 30 May 2019 1:50 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We are staying n these towns on these nights. We love history and want to see castles, museums and things of that nature. Thank You

Oct 9 - Dublin
Oct 10-11 - Galway
Oct 12 - Bunratty Castle
Oct 13 - Kinsale
Oct 14 - Kilkenny
Oct 15 - Dublin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 3 Jun 2019 2:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Scott, 

It's great to see that you're planning on visiting this fall, and there are loads of castles and historical places to explore while you're here. :)

Bunratty Castle is open in October, and you can visit the castle and folk park, as well as attend a medieval banquet! What other castles did you have in mind? 

Since you'll be in Dublin, you can visit Dublin Castle, and many of the other historical buildings in the county. In Galway there is of course the famous Kylemore Abbey, among others. When you're in Kinsale I definitely recommend a trip to Charles Fort, and of course Kilkenny Castle in Kilkenny. 

These are just a few options, and you can find even more ideas and suggestions in this suggested castles itinerary. Since you are interested in history, I think you might also like Ireland's Ancient East, which is filled with ancient tombs and Vikings. 

You'll find that there are many museums on the Emerald Isle as well, from the Galway City Museum to the Little Museum of Dublin. You can find some favourites here. Most will be open all year round, but times and days may differ, so make sure to check their websites before you plan your trip. 

I hope this was helpful, and feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions! :)

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 26 Sep 2019 4:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Scott, 

Your trip is coming along very soon, and I was just wondering how your plans are coming along. :) Also, here is a helpful checklist to help you pack everything you need for your visit.

I wish you a wonderful trip! 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 17 Nov 2019 6:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Scott! :) We'd love to hear more about your adventures on the Emerald Isle, and which castles you've visited while you were here. Did you get to see everything (and more) on your itinerary?