I'm visiting family in County Leitrim, but I'd love to explore the area. What can I do?

I'm visiting family in County Leitrim, but I'd love to explore the...

Author
Posted Wed 29 May 2019 8:20 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
This is rural Ireland at its finest, so get ready for rolling hills, quaint villages and a more relaxed way of life. County Leitrim, or ‘Lovely Leitrim’ as it’s sometimes called, is located in the heart of Ireland. The least populated county on the island of Ireland, it has a unique charm that will stay with you long after you leave.

If you’re more at home amongst the currents than dry land, then Leitrim is the place to go. Countless rivers wind their way through the county. Many people take their cruisers and house-boats along these gentle rivers, and you can even make it all the way to County Fermanagh thanks to the Shannon-Erne waterway. Here, you can take to the waters and hire a boat to captain at your leisure, or simply walk along the riverbank, watching the water swirl lazily by.

If navigating the waterways by boat is a bit too sedate for you, there are plenty of other activities to get your heart racing. Head to Lough Allen to try windsurfing, sailing or even become one with nature with wilderness therapy. Forage for your dinner and set up camp before sleeping under a blanket of stars.

One of the most famous literary associations with ‘Lovely Leitrim’ is, of course, WB Yeats, one of Ireland’s greatest writers and recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature. It was in Leitrim that WB Yeats was inspired by Glencar Waterfall, and it features in his poem ‘The Stolen Child’. 

“Where the wandering water gushes, from the hills above Glen-Car, in pools among the rushes, that scarce could bathe a star”

If you want to find out more about WB Yeats then cross over to neighbouring County Sligo where you can discover why this surfing haven is often called ‘Yeats Country’.

But if you stick around in County Leitrim, then make your way to Carrick-on-Shannon. The largest town in Leitrim, no visit would be complete without a visit to this busy little hub. This is where you’ll find pleasure cruises along the River Shannon, with a soundtrack of trad sessions spilling out of the pubs to accompany you on your next adventure.

Can our Community members recommend any other places to visit in ‘Lovely Leitrim’?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Aug 2019 10:22 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
India
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Oct 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 131
Leitrim has so much to offer such as stunning landscapes, virtually no traffic, lower property prices and great communities. The best thing about this destination is that despite tourist season, you have so many things to do that won’t involve jostling with the crowds.
The best things in Leitrim involves visit to:

Glencar Waterfall: The country is full of lakes and mountains and for sure is a photographer’s dream. The Glencar waterfall tops the list and is an extremely beautiful must-see destination.

Gorgeous Lakelands: Leitrim is home to ten beautiful lakes that take your breath away.

Hang out at:
•You will always meet great people in Stanford’s Inn
•Pint in Gings beer garden
•Friday night blue-grass session in Cryans Traditional Bar
•Trad sessions in the Clubhouse Bar

Leitrim has a small population, but it’s culturally active. If you want to witness the cultural scene of the place there is always a lot to do at:

•The Glen’s Centre
•The Dock