Using the Irish Deeds index for research

Using the Irish Deeds index for research

Author
Posted Wed 29 May 2019 9:39 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi,I am currently researching my FitzGerald and DuNoyer ancestors from Dublin from late 1700’ to mid 1800’s.
Much of the information is not ‘adding up’!! So I have decided as the DuNoyer’s owned propery to try and use the Irish Deeds Index, but honestly apart from trawling through 250 very lengthy documents I am not really understanding how to use it? I type in DuNoyer as the grantor and nothing comes up. In fact I have tried different combinations and still no result.
I type in Fitzgerald and also no result. My ancestor died in 1856 and must have left his money to someone, but if he did, it isn’t listed there.
I have found his grave in Glasnevin, but no birth date recorded! Seems I am running out of luck. No records on Irish Genealogy. Only a marriage on Findmypast. Some reference in newspapers, so now I am trying the deeds index! Any help would be really welcome. Noella
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 May 2019 10:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Noella, 

Searching via the Irish Deeds Index is a great idea! I'm so sorry to hear you weren't able to find out more this way.

Did your ancestor die in Dublin, and do you happen to know his or her first name? Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, and all the surviving records are in the care of county based genealogical centres. Have you by any chance reached out to the centre in Dublin yet? They might be able to point you in the right direction. 

It is also possible to email the webmaster of the Irish Deeds Index via the following page, and hopefully they can help you find what you are looking for. 

Another helpful tool is the Irish Ancestors Map, where you can find the number and location of households of the name in Ireland 1848-64, a surname map from the 1850s, showing numbers and locations throughout Ireland and much more. Maybe there is some information there that might come in handy as well. 

I hope this was helpful, and that some of our genealogy experts will be able to provide you with more tips, ideas and suggestions for your research. 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 May 2019 11:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Noella

If you have not already done so, you should also take a look at 'church records' at IrishGenealogy.ie as this database contains 54 references to DuNoyer baptisms, marriages or burials in church registers of Dublin City.

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 13 Jul 2019 9:09 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you both so much for your replies and for your suggestions which I will follow up on. I didn’t know about the genealogy centres, Melin nor about asking on Facebook re searching the deeds index. So thank you for that.
I’ve had fun with irishgenealogy, Brian, which has very few records of my family so I worked with a sponsors name on the only existing birth records for the many siblings of my ggrandfather but not sure where it leads??? There was a Johanne Byrne and Johanna DuNoyer. So I took the Joanne Byrne and turned her into Johanne Fitzgerald ( assuming she was Patrick’s sister) and found a Johanna Fitzgerald married to a Thomas Byrne, found 2 birth records and even possible birth parents and then asked myself where iexactly this was leading and how reliable it was so there it stops.... Seems the FitzGeralds I am looking for
I do know quite a lot about my ggrandfather Patrick Henry from about 1800 as he worked for the governement in the excise department both in Dublin and Carrickmacross. I know his addresses in Dublin and have seen his home in Carrickmacross where he leased some land from the Potter estate( I have the documentation for that). The mystery is where he came from as he was approx 38 in 1800? There are a number of references to him in Dublin Newspapers of the time ( deaths and marriages of his children) as well as a reference to him being on the Irish Committee for the settlement of New Zealand. So from 1800- 1856 when he died I have considerable information but not from where he came which is why I had hoped he might have something registered in the registry of deeds but my preliminary search has revealed nothing.
Thank you both again for your suggestions.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Jul 2019 9:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
This sounds fascinating, Noella!

With a slight change in the name search for Johanna, you may have started on a possible family path indeed.

It is fascinating to hear about your ggrandfather Patrick Henry from 1800 onwards and surprising that he hasn't appeared before that. But without a place or town searching back then can be tricky as the records are all parish records as you know.

Please let us know how your search continues and if come up with anything more on your elusive ancestors!

Martin